History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ripley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0398 / 54°2'23"N

Longitude: -1.5689 / 1°34'7"W

OS Eastings: 428332

OS Northings: 460505

OS Grid: SE283605

Mapcode National: GBR KPHQ.4M

Mapcode Global: WHC86.WQ3F

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331601

Location: Ripley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripley

Listing Text

RIPLEY MARKET PLACE
SE 2860-2960 (south side, off)

8/95 Church of All Saints
15.3.66

GV II*

Church. c1400; mainly rebuilt 1567 when nave walls and tower raised,
staircase tower added; Ingilby pew, known as Patrons Choir, and south vestry
probably late C16 - early C17, restoration including refenestration, 1862-
63. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, grey slate roofs. 2-stage west
tower with diagonal buttresses and stair tower against south side; 5-bay
nave with lower north and south aisles, 3-bay chancel with Patrons Choir to
north and south chapel with organ and vestry to south. Tower: the upper
stage is narrower, indicating the C16 heightening, and contains 2-light
belfry openings with chamfered mullions; the lower stage west window is of 3
trefoil-headed lights. Crenellated parapet. Nave and aisles: south porch
rebuilt in 1863 is gabled and has a deeply-chamfered Gothic style arch. The
clerestory and aisle windows are flat-headed with paired cusped lights
(restored), those to aisles retaining original hoodmoulds formed by a
continuous eaves moulding with vertical mouldings teminating in small head
stops. North fenestration similar. South chapel and vestry: 2 board doors
in deeply-chamfered pointed surrounds; central 3-light Decorated window and
smaller 2-light window to right. Chancel east end: Decorated east window of
3 lights; the Patrons Choir on the north side is lit by 2 windows with
cambered heads and paired cusped lights and is entered through a board door,
right. Interior: the south door is made of large coarsely cut planks. The
nave arcades have cylindrical columns on the north side and octagonal on the
south and double-chamfered Gothic arches; the eastern bays have low arches,
that on the south over the tomb of Sir Thomas de Ingilby and his wife,
c1369. The large chest has 4 weepers to each side in crocketted niches,
some mutilated, and shields with the Ingilby star and other badges including
3 greyhounds in relief. There is a band of lettering around the top of the
chest which has the life size recumbent effigy of the knight and his lady.
Opposite this tomb, in the south wall of the aisle, there is a finely carved
piscina, indicating the position of an altar nearby. The tomb of Sir
William Tngilby (d1617) stands against the south wall of the chancel and is
composed of a chest tomb with shields representing local families, on which
lies the recumbent figure of Sir William in full armour, his helmet
separately carved and at time of resurvey placed against his legs, the feet
and hands missing. The plaque above is decorated with the Ingilby crest, a
skull and cherubs in a flamboyant scroll decoration. The inscription
records that the memorial was erected by the executors, Sir Peter Middleton
and Thomas Ingilby and a valedictory poem likens Sir William to a single bee
- a pun on the Ingleby name. A later carved inscription below reads 'NO
POMPE NOR PRIDE / LET GOD BE HONOURED'. A squint behind the monument allows
a view from the vestry and there is a finely carved piscina and aumbry in
the south wall near the altar. 2 double-chamfered arches on the north side
of the chancel open onto the Patrons Choir which contains marble and brass
memorials to the Ingilby family dating from the C17. There are the remains
of a fine massively carved rood screen probably C16 at the east end of the
south aisle, with ogee arch and a brattished cross beam with shields; the
timbers are ovolo moulded and pegged. The present rood screen and choir
stalls were installed in 1885; the font in the base of the west tower was
donated in 1863. The church was rebuilt on the present site after the
collapse of the earlier building further south; the C14 tomb and possibly
the north nave arcade masonry are thought to have come from that building.
Sir Thomas is the earliest recorded Ingilby of Ripley and was a Justice of
the Kings Bench. The secondary inscription on the C17 monument is thought
to have been cut during the occupation of the church by Cromwell's troups
after the battle of Marston Moor (1644). Sir William had been a Roman
Catholic and his family was suspected of involvement in the gunpowder plot
and was persecuted severely; he was succeeded in 1618 by his nephew,
William, who supported the Royalist course during the civil wars and was
imprisoned and fined.


Listing NGR: SE2833360505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.