History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nicoll Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Elstree and Borehamwood, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.6509 / 51°39'3"N

Longitude: -0.289 / 0°17'20"W

OS Eastings: 518468

OS Northings: 196062

OS Grid: TQ184960

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.PTF

Mapcode Global: VHGQ3.YR2T

Entry Name: Nicoll Farm House

Listing Date: 20 July 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164204

Location: Elstree and Borehamwood, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD6

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Civil Parish: Elstree and Borehamwood

Built-Up Area: Borehamwood

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Elstree and Borehamwood

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(North side)

7/154 No. 34
20.7.82 (Nicoll Farm House)


House. c.1500, c,1600 crosswing, altered mid C17. Early and mid C18
extension, alteration and refronting. C19 and C20 additions. Timber
frame originally. Brick walls, whitewashed to front, some
weatherboarding. Tiled roof. Originally 3 bays with 2-bay open hall,
parlour crosswing added to right. Now 2 storeys. Entrance to far left of
original house with later hipped roofed porch. Early C18 1 bay kitchen
extension to left and 2 bays of house brick fronted in early C18 with
plat band over first floor and parapet. Timber casements with segmental
heads. C17 cross axial ridge stack to left of original house, 3 diagonal
shafts. Later C18 brick front to right bay of hall and parlour wing.
Plat band and parapet. Ground floor casements and C19 French windows. 2
first floor sashes. Right return of parlour wing has original English
bond external stack partly hidden by C19 addition with lower roof. Left
return: weatherboarded first floor, half hip to roof. C20 rear extension
to left. Rear gable to parlour wing. External C18 stack to rear of hall.
Ground floor casements. First floor horizontal sliding sashes. Interior:
only soot blackened hall roof with clasped purlins and wind braces
remains from c.1500. Clasped purlin roof to wing. Mid C17 floor inserted
on stopped ovolo moulded beams. Mid C19 wall extends forward from front
dividing garden from farmyard. Attached brick piers with ball finials
and gates. (RCHM Typescript)

Listing NGR: TQ1846896062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.