This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7276 / 51°43'39"N
Longitude: -0.4697 / 0°28'10"W
OS Eastings: 505790
OS Northings: 204315
OS Grid: TL057043
Mapcode National: GBR G70.N2J
Mapcode Global: VHFS5.TV20
Entry Name: Shendish House and Attached Walled Garden and Octagonal Summerhouse
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157696
Location: Kings Langley, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP3
Civil Parish: Kings Langley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: King's Langley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
KINGS LANGLEY SHENDISH
TL 00 SE off London Road
7/166 Shendish House (DRG
and attached walled garden
and octagonal summerhouse
Country house on a manorial site with attached walled garden and
octagonal summerhouse, now a leisure centre. 1854-6 for Charles Longman
(1809-73) a partner of John Dickinson and an heir to the publishing
house of Longmans. Garden room wing dated 1871, new entrance porch 1902,
garden porch dated 1910. Grey brick with Bath stone dressings and
chimneys. Portland stone plinth, and steep graduated slate roofs. 2
storeys, attics and basement. A large L-shaped Jacobean style house
facing E with a rectangular walled garden attached to its NW corner with
an octagonal summerhouse at its SW angle. Near symmetrical 5-part E
front with corresponding stepping of roofline and separate stone gable
parapets and end chimneys to each part. Slightly projecting 3 windows
wide centre with large canted bay window to ground floor rising from
basement area with stone balustrade. Small semi-octagonal bay central on
1st floor flanked by square headed 2-light stone windows with labels.
Parapet carried up in. centre as gabled dormer with ogee coping to gables
and large central finial. Narrower bays to each side have similar
features above ground floor but 2 2-light windows on ground floor at LH
and original square projecting stone porch with '1855' on parapet.
Projecting gabled end wings have shaped gable parapets, central finial,
and square-headed 2-light windows to each floor. Arcaded stone porch and
adjoining lobby added to LB wing in 1902 in same style. Large entrance
hall with staircase to rear with tall mullioned and transomed stone
window and twisted turned balusters to each step. Arcaded screen and
elaborate Jacobethan fireplace in entrance hall. Similar screen in
garden room. Dado panelling and deep strapwork frieze in S rooms, and
ornate French rococo white marble chimneypiece in bar. Grey brick S
front to walled garden with 3 Tudor arched entrances and pilasters
alternating with piers. Iron gate 1898. Roofless octagonal summerhouse
with steps, damaged mosaic floor and carved stone decoration.
(John Evans The Endless Web (1955)90, 207-8).
Listing NGR: TL0579004315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings