This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0406 / 54°2'26"N
Longitude: -1.5698 / 1°34'11"W
OS Eastings: 428272
OS Northings: 460596
OS Grid: SE282605
Mapcode National: GBR KPGQ.YB
Mapcode Global: WHC86.VPPS
Entry Name: Stables, Coach Houses and Service Buildings to North and East of Courtyard at Ripley Castle with South Wall to Gate House
Listing Date: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331606
Location: Ripley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
RIPLEY RIPLEY PARK
8/100 Stables, coach-houses and
service buildings to
north and east of
courtyard at Ripley
Castle with south wall to
Stables, coach-houses and service buildings, now storerooms and shops.
Begun 1786 by William Belwood for Sir John Ingilby. Coursed squared
gritstone, grey slate roof. The north range linked to the north-east
service wing of the castle is a long 2-storey, 15-bay block, the end bays
and central canted 3 bays forming squat crenellated towers. The east range
has a central gateway flanked by 2-storey square towers which are linked by
lower 2-storey, 5-bay ranges to 2-storey end towers. In Gothick style.
North range: the central 3 bays project and each has paired 6-panel board
doors with cast-iron openwork panels in a 4-centred arch with projecting
surround, the central doors surmounted by an ogee panel and shield. All the
windows have shallow pointed Gothick arches; the central. window, first
floor, is of 4 lights and is flanked by 3-light windows all with interlaced
glazing bars and square hoodmoulds surmounted by cruciform recesses.
Projecting first-floor band carried at first-floor level of both north and
east ranges. Hipped roof, crenellated stack left. Flanking ranges have Y-
tracery windows to ground and first floors, several blind. The left range
has a 6-panel pointed arched door to bay 4 and a blind recess to bay 6. A
similar door to bay 2 of the right range; the ground-floor windows have
ventilators in the lower half. Wooden gutter brackets. The outer towers
have a door and window in the same style to ground floor and a 4-light
intersecting tracery window with hoodmould above,plus 2 cruciform recesses
below the eaves. Rear: the central block is of 3 storeys; a 6-panel door to
left and 2 garage doors centre and right; 4 blind windows to first and
second floors, the upper row with segmental arches. The flanking ranges
have a board door left, a blocked door right and 12- and 16-pane sashes.
The 2-bay tower attached to the castle has no crenellation on the rear face;
the walling is a continuation of the rear wall of the castle (qv).
Projecting eaves bands, stone gutter brackets. The structure unstable at
time of resurvey; interior not inspected. East range, from courtyard: the
central double gates are under a pointed arch with crenellated parapet.
Ground floor with pointed openings, 2 to each tower, of which one is blind.
Left tower with Y-tracery window to other opening and right tower with
inserted glazed door. Left linking range with alternating blind and
traceried openings. All first-floor windows blind, painted with Y-tracery.
Tower windows larger and with hoodmoulds. Central towers with clockfaces
below crenellated parapets. Rear: the towers are linked by lean-to cart-
sheds, now shops, left, and botheys or byres, now cafe and shops to right.
The south tower contains an inserted cast-iron header tank supported on
internal buttresses. Linking wall from south tower to gatehouse (qv):
approximately 3 metres high and crenellated. A short length from the tower
eastwards is similar. Although they were begun in 1786 the southern half of
the eastern range is not shown on an estate plan of 1807. J Low, 'William
Belwood, Architect and Surveyor', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 56,
1984, p 151.
Listing NGR: SE2826460590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings