History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beck Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Kettlewell with Starbotton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1694 / 54°10'9"N

Longitude: -2.0719 / 2°4'18"W

OS Eastings: 395405

OS Northings: 474845

OS Grid: SD954748

Mapcode National: GBR FNZ7.74

Mapcode Global: WHB68.4GNJ

Entry Name: Beck Cottage

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324704

Location: Kettlewell with Starbotton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Kettlewell with Starbotton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Buckden

Listing Text

SD 97 SE KETTLEWELL WITH STARBOTTON OLD MAIN STREET
(east side)
Starbotton

11/117 Beck Cottage

10.9.54

GV II

Former north wing of Old Hall, now house. Dated 1663, for the Symondson
family, restored c1920 after a period of dereliction. Limestone rubble,
graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays, the rear bay being a lower
ridged continuation of the Carn Cottage range (q.v.) and the front bay
projecting at right angles. Quoins. West gable front: C20 glazed door
with outer board doors right; the doorway having moulded jambs and a large
lintel with the letters " WS 1663 TS" in relief. 4-light window to left, 3-
light above and a single light in the gable, all recessed chamfered and
restored. Ashlar stack to centre of ridge. Left return: restored central
door and fenestration. Rear: a small chamfered window with segmental head
to left; a similar rectangular window first-floor centre. The eaves line
slightly lower than Carn Cottage. Interior: the front living room has a
large fireplace, the lintel supported by corbelled jambs; the cross beam
supported by corbels. The rear kitchen has the rebuilt remains of a large
stone cooking fireplace, formerly against the rear wall. History: The Old
Hall, Starbotton was occupied by the Symondson family in the C17, Lister
Symondson being keeper of the deer at Buckden, in 1600. In the mid C17 the
house is said to have been used by Lady Ann Clifford (d.1670) as a resting
place during her journeys from Skipton Castle to her estates in
Westmorland. After a period of dereliction following storm damage the
house became cottages before thorough restoration c1920. F.W. Houghton,
Upper Wharfedale, 1980. p.l39


Listing NGR: SD9540574845

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.