History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sutton Mallet Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Stawell, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1283 / 51°7'41"N

Longitude: -2.8974 / 2°53'50"W

OS Eastings: 337295

OS Northings: 136936

OS Grid: ST372369

Mapcode National: GBR M9.9CR1

Mapcode Global: VH7DK.QWLY

Entry Name: Sutton Mallet Church

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174207

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269586

Location: Stawell, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Stawell

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Edington

Listing Text

STAWELL CP CHURCH ROAD (West side)
ST33NE SUTTON MALLET

2/63 Sutton Mallet Church
29.3.63
GV II

Anglican church. 1829 by Richard Carver, the County architect and surveyor, on a medieval site incorporating some
reused C15 features. Coursed rubble, slate roofs, coped verges, slender 2-stage buttresses with offsets. Nave with
small south porch, small polygonal chancel, slender west tower. Gothic. Tower with moulded string below parapet,
parapet rises to form a 'pediment' to each face, deep buttresses to west, arch over, recessed 3-light Perpendicular
west window, 2-light Perpendicular bell-chamber windows. Three-bay nave, tall 2-light stone-mullioned windows, each
light with a 4-centred head, labels, diamond-paned leaded lights. Gabled ashlar south porch, slender buttresses,
4-centred head outer door opening, 4-centered head recess on each side. Chancel with cinquepartite roof, 3-light reused
Perpendicular window with label, diamond-paned leaded lights. Interior with coeval box pews, 2 decker pulpit, and font.
C17 altar rails re-used from the earlier church. Two C17 bells. (Church Guide, 1975; Pevsner, N. Buildings of England,
South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST3729536936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.