This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7699 / 51°46'11"N
Longitude: -0.5273 / 0°31'38"W
OS Eastings: 501713
OS Northings: 208937
OS Grid: TL017089
Mapcode National: GBR G6B.ZDV
Mapcode Global: VHFRY.TS22
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157971
Location: Nettleden with Potten End, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4
Civil Parish: Nettleden with Potten End
Built-Up Area: Potten End
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Potten End Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 00 NW NETTLEDEN WITH CHURCH ROAD
POTTEN END (West side)
5/192 Church of The Holy Trinity
Chapel-of-ease, parish church since 1895. Designed c.1864, contract date
9.3.1865, licensed for services Sept 1865, consecrated 1868, porch 1908.
F.C. Penrose for Earl Brownlow. Builders T. & J. Mathews and William
Nash for £710. Plum brick with red brick and stone dressings and steep
red tiled roofs. A small T-plan church with semi-circular apse, S porch,
N vestry, and bellcote on W gable. Described'as in the Italian Norman
Style. Round-arched windows, stilted 3-light windows lighting nave,
single lights elsewhere with triplets at 2 levels in transepts ends.
Blue brick chamfered course to plinth and red brick corbel table at
eaves level continued across faces of gables with red brickwork above
and stone gable copings with crosses. W gable topped by 2-stage bellcote
with mid-wall shaft to lower opening. Plastered interior over boarded
dado. Open timber roof with arch-braced collar-trusses in pine.
Plastered round-arch with chamfered imposts to apse. 3 stained glass
windows in apse presented by Lady Marion Alford for opening. Simple oak
fittings with one choir stall and lectern by Thompson of Kilburn (the
'mouse-man'). Elaborate S door protected by later matching porch.
Original bell replaced by 3 in 1927. War memorial tablets inserted
externally in S gable of S transept. (Kelly (1914)53: M.J. Smith Holy
Trinity Church, Potten End: Centenary Booklet 1868-1967 (1967): Bryant
Listing NGR: TL0171008940
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings