History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Withypool and Hawkridge, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0639 / 51°3'49"N

Longitude: -3.6266 / 3°37'35"W

OS Eastings: 286112

OS Northings: 130649

OS Grid: SS861306

Mapcode National: GBR LB.F72L

Mapcode Global: FRA 3699.LY5

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 6 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174221

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265575

Location: Withypool and Hawkridge, West Somerset, Somerset, TA22

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Withypool and Hawkridge

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Hawkridge

Listing Text



SS83SE WITHYPOOL CP
HAWKRIDGE
18/161
Church of St Giles
6.4.59

GV II*

Parish church. Norman south door, C14 chancel and base of tower, rest Perpendicular, restored 1878. Local stone random
rubble, plinth to chancel, Ham stone dressings slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, chancel, Crenellated 2-stage tower,
diagonal buttresses to second stage string course, louvred lancet bell opening, 4-light west window, unmoulded
semi-circular headed doorway to C19 west door, crenellated north east stair turret; buttress to south west corner of
nave, 2-light window left of gabled, single storey porch with C19 semi-circular arched opening, semi-circular headed
Norman doorway with zig-zag moulding to extrados, capitals with incised design, renewed inner arch, chamfered jambs,
C19 door; right 3-light trefoil headed mullioned window set into rebuilt section of nave wall, chamfered corner at
junction with chancel, 2-light chancel window, 3-light east window; north front unlit with rood stair projection and
lean-to roofed addition thought to contain boiler for heating system. Interior: rendered. Shallow chancel arch,
unchamfered 4-centred tower arch. C19 shallow ceiled wagon roof to chancel , C19 ceiled wagon roof to nave. Panelled
screen to tower arch. Norman baluster font, cable moulded with incised grid pattern to bowl. C13 stone coffin lid,
chamfered cornice defaced foliage cross, incised with inscription 'William ...... lies here'; thought to refer to
William de Plessy, Lord of the manor, died 1274. This was found in wall behind pulpit in 1877 and removed from the
church, only to be returned in 1931. Painted Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria on chancel arch wall inscribed 'WHM
and JC churchwardens 1877', (Photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: SS8611230649

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.