This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1404 / 51°8'25"N
Longitude: -2.9047 / 2°54'16"W
OS Eastings: 336807
OS Northings: 138296
OS Grid: ST368382
Mapcode National: GBR M9.8HXR
Mapcode Global: VH7DK.LLSL
Entry Name: Stawell Church
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174228
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269593
Location: Stawell, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Stawell
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
STAWELL CP STAWELL ROAD (North side)
2/70 Stawell Church
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, much restored 1874. Coursed rubble, freestone dressings, slate and tiled roofs
with coped verges, cruciform finials. Nave with continuous chancel, south porch, squat west tower; simple low building.
The tower with saddle-back roof, diagonal buttresses, weathered set-off about three-quarters of the way up, a square
stair-turret to north, good Perpendicular west window, west door, 2 obscured tablets on east face are incised 1610,
probably marking a restoration; the upper portion of the tower is believed unfinished, the roof a compromise. Gabled
porch with an outer doorway of 2 orders, much altered, consecration cross, simple lancet on the west elevation. Two-bay
nave, lancets on the north and south sides, also on south side a 2-light window of 1874 in neo-Decorated style. Chancel
with lancets to north and south, to south with a cusped head. Three-light east window of 1874 in neo-Decorated style;
priest's door to south, studded with strap hinges. Formerly on north side of the nave a 3-bay C14 arcade, some external
evidence but obscured by robust 2-stage buttresses of 1874 with set-offs. The inside of the porch benched on flagstone
floor, C19 inner plank door. Interior plastered on tile floors under an unceiled wagon roof of 1874. Further evidence
of the arcade in the ford of polygonal piers with stepped caps, the bases now much below present floor level. Simple
tower arch. Octagonal C15 font with quatrefoil panels, C19 cover. Medieval chest under tower. Bell dated 1770. Two good
late C18 wall monuments. Remainder of fittings 1874 including pine pews, pulpit, and altar rails. (Illustrated
Braikenridge Collection, Taunton Castle; Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Church Guide,
Listing NGR: ST3680738296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings