This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9275 / 51°55'39"N
Longitude: -0.0998 / 0°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 530756
OS Northings: 227151
OS Grid: TL307271
Mapcode National: GBR K94.5L6
Mapcode Global: VHGNW.7T37
Entry Name: The Vicarage (55 Metres to West of Church)
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159507
Location: Ardeley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Ardeley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ardeley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3027 ARDELEY ARDELEY
9/14 The Vicarage
(55m to W of church)
Vicarage. 1685 for vicar Robert Strut 'who built a fair Pile of
Brick for a Vicarage-house at his charge' (Chauncy (1700) 64a).
Altered C18. Extended to W c1824 for vicar E G Marsh with
service wing extended to S. Later alterations 1843-85 largely
removed in C20. Red brick with main range plastered and lined as
ashlar. Steep roofs now slated. S service wing hipped. A 2-
storeys, attics and cellar T-plan house facing N. Oldfield dwg
c1800 (HRO) shows a 2-cell central entrance passage house 5 sash
windows wide with rear-lateral chimney to E part and gable
chimney W part. There was a C17 gabled stair tower central at
rear (S) and an C18 2-storeys service wing projecting to SW. The
main range was extended 2 windows in length to W in C19, the
large polygonal bay windows added to E and W gables, and a new
small entrance wing at the SE corner next the stair tower, with
new front door. The front has 7 recessed sash windows to each
floor with 6/6 panes. Attics lit by gable windows. Interior has
a good closed-string late C17 staircase with heavy moulded
balusters and pendants to newels, rising to attic storey. Carved
wooden fireplace said to be of C17 and restored in 1933. (RCHM
(1911) 36: VCH (1912) 194: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3075627151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings