This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2662 / 51°15'58"N
Longitude: -2.3121 / 2°18'43"W
OS Eastings: 378320
OS Northings: 151941
OS Grid: ST783519
Mapcode National: GBR 0RX.J8L
Mapcode Global: VH976.WF1N
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174267
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267123
Location: Lullington, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Lullington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST75SE LULLINGTON CP
4/177 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, south aisle of c 1280, chancel of c 1340, tower and south porch circa 1450, restored 1862 by T. H. Wyatt. Rubble, stone slate roofs, coped verges with finials. Predominantly Decorated and Perpendicular, much Norman
work remaining. Two bay chancel with angle buttresses, 3-light east window, 2-light windows to north and south, one unusually small, priests door with an ogee head, trefoiled opening. Three stage embattled central tower, 2-light Decorated windows to second stage, perpendicular windows to belfry. Nave with much Norman work, particularly north door, 2 attached shafts to each side with carved capitals, tympanum with the Tree of Life, in the arch a 3 dimensional zig-zag and an outer order of beak heads, a figure of the Father under a triangular hood mould; a further C12 door to south in a simpler style; other features include two C12 windows and a corbel table on north side; west window much restored. South aisle with a 2-light decorated east window, south window restored. Salient features of the interior are the C12 piers supporting the tower, those to chancel 3 and 2-shafted respectively, ornamental capitals; those to nave 3-shafted, the middle ones twisted, ornamental capitals, decorated abaci; both arches to each and west made pointed c 1250. Decorated arch to south aisle, piers with foliated capitals; piscina to south wall. Nave with a C11 font with much decoration, inscription in Roman style:- "Hoc Fontis Sacro Peveunt Delicta Lavacro". Trefoil-head piscina to chancel, small vestry with a medieval coffin lid on the wall, depicting a cross and a hand. C17 communion table. Much stained glass of mid C19, particularly south window of central tower, 1862 by J. L. Vanderpoorten of
Brussels. (SANHS, Vol 57, i, 83-85, 1911; Vol 2, ii, 86-92, 1850;).
Listing NGR: ST7832051943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings