History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Entrance Steps and Attached Handrail

A Grade II* Listed Building in Goathland, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.3951 / 54°23'42"N

Longitude: -0.7266 / 0°43'35"W

OS Eastings: 482776

OS Northings: 500700

OS Grid: NZ827007

Mapcode National: GBR RKCM.H8

Mapcode Global: WHF94.TS5K

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Entrance Steps and Attached Handrail

Listing Date: 6 October 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174270

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327579

Location: Goathland, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Goathland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Goathland St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Beck Hole

Listing Text

20/103 Church of St.Mary,
entrance steps and
6.10.69 attached handrail
Church. Dated 1894-96. By W.H.Brierley. Hammered sandstone with
sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings. Stone slate roof. 5-bay nave and
south porch; choir, south organ chamber and vestry beneath central tower;
chancel. Church raised on high, slightly battered, chamfered plinth.
West end: two 2-light Geometrical windows beneath pointed hoodmoulds flank
gabled buttress. Nave: gabled south porch has pointed roll-moulded
opening, approached by steps with wrought iron handrail, and scrolly boot-
scrapers at bottom. Panelled south door in porch. Two square-headed
windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights east of porch. Similar windows in nave
north side, two towards west end separated by offset buttress, and one
towards eastern end. Tower: squat, 3-stages, with angle buttresses and
south-west vice. Lean-to vestry obscures lowest stage to south, and has
panelled door in shallow pointed-arched doorway. Square-headed window of
3 round-headed lights to east of door, and similar window in west return,
beside small staircase window. Lowest stage of tower north side has
round-headed window of 3 lights with stripped Perpendicular tracery and
rolled hoodmould. Second stage is pierced to north and south by rect-
angular chamfered lights. Single belfry openings to north and south, two
to east and west. Openings are shallow pointed and contain recessed
paired louvred lights with scalloped heads. Clock faces to north and
south, beneath plain parapet with roll-moulded coping, stepped up at each
corner. Pennant weathervane dated 1896. Several waterspouts project from
west face. Chancel: single window similar to those in west end, in south
side only. East window: five cusped pointed lights recessed in segment-
arched opening. Foundation stone set in plinth reads:
To the Glory of God and
the Holy Memory of S.
Mary this stone was laid
on July 5 1894 by M.D.McEacharn Esq.
Window surrounds throughout are double-chamfered, and all openings are
quoined. Coped and roll-moulded gable ends and chancel gable cross.
Interior. Splayed, segment-arched nave window openings. Double-
chamfered, round tower arch on half-octagonal responds with moulded
capitals. C11/C12 bowl font, preserved from a demolished church at Egton,
with timber cover of volutes clustered around an octagonal column, dated
1903. Altar slab, preserved on north side of sanctuary, thought to
survive from the C12 Hermitage Chapel of St.Mary of Godesland, now
demolished. C17 half-octagonal pulpit with panels carved with flowers and
foliage. Choir fittings by Brierley. Other fittings, notably the
linenfold-panelled altar and reredos, by Robert Thompson of Kilburn.
Original brass candelabrum in Choir. Boarded, barreled roof on timber
ribs with braced collars and upper queen struts. Porch contains the grave
slab of Elizabeth Sleightholme, d.1695.
C.Carus, Walter Henry Brierley, 1862-1926, unpublished Diploma in
Conservation Studies dissertation, University of York: Hollings, A,
Goathland, The Story of a Moorland Village: Nuttgens, P, Brierley in
Yorkshire: Architectural Review, Vol.16, 1904: Building News, Vol.LXVII,

Listing NGR: NZ8277600700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.