This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.681 / 51°40'51"N
Longitude: -0.1943 / 0°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 524936
OS Northings: 199571
OS Grid: TQ249995
Mapcode National: GBR BX.PPJ
Mapcode Global: VHGQ5.L04N
Entry Name: Trinity Chapel at Bentley Heath
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164229
Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, EN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Potters Bar Parkfield
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Potters Bar
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 2499 POTTERS BAR BENTLEY HEATH LANE
12/177 Trinity Chapel
- at Bentley Heath
Private Chapel to Wrotham Park estate. 1866 by S.S.Teulon for G.Byng,
2nd Earl of Strafford. English bond red brick with white and burnt brick
and stone dressings.Tiled roof. Polychrome Gothic.Chancel with N vestry.
Nave with S porch and apsidal W baptistery. 4 bay nave: 3 windows to S,
2 lights with quatrefoiled heads, brick hood moulds. Plinth, burnt
brick courses, brick cornice to close eaves. Gabled timber porch to
right of centre on brick plinth. Trefoil headed lancets with diamond
leaded lights, stained glass panels between studs. Arch braced roof and
decorative bargeboards. 4 similar windows to N are slightly larger and
have decorative relieving arches. No plinth or hood moulds. Angle
buttresses to W end of nave.Semi-octagonal baptistery up to eaves level:
3 trefoiled lancets with string course at sill level. Stone parapet with
corbel table. Pointed heads to buttresses above parapet. Circular window
in W end of nave wall: 6 circular lights around a star. White brick
decorative surround.Polychromatic stone blocks and brick bands in gable.
Ridge cross on stone coped parapet. Steeply pitched roof. At E end of
nave a large bellcote with tumbled-in brickwork and 2 stone spirelets.
Chancel is lower, shorter and narrower. E end angle buttresses, stone
coped parapet, similar gable ornament and ridge cross. Large traceried
E window over stepped up stringcourse. Small lean-to 'aisle' addition to
S with 5 light ribbon window. N vestry: hipped roof, entrance to W, 3
square lights to N and lean-to boiler room to E. Tall stack at NE corner
of nave with decorative capping. Interior: chancel and baptistery arches
have responds stopped halfway down. Star brick patterning in spandrels
of nave windows, disrupted to N by larger openings. Ceiled roof. Glass:
panel from St. Peters, Cranley Gardens in nave to N, otherwise plain.
Memorials: chest tomb to G. Byng, d.1847, ornate neo-Perp, and wall
slabs with figures, on nave N wall to Lady A. Byng, d.1845, and on nave
S wall to Gen Sir J. Byng, d.1860, all moved from demolished Church of
St. John the Baptist, Potters Bar. (VCH Middlesex 1976, Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ2493699571
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings