History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Welburn, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1008 / 54°6'2"N

Longitude: -0.8982 / 0°53'53"W

OS Eastings: 472146

OS Northings: 467771

OS Grid: SE721677

Mapcode National: GBR QP50.BQ

Mapcode Global: WHFBM.56K3

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 25 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174287

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329801

Location: Welburn, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Welburn (Amotherby Ward)

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Welburn St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bulmer

Listing Text


SE 76 NW WELBURN CHURCH LANE
(south side)
5/119 Church of St John

II
Church. 1859-65. By Mallinson and Healey. Early English style. Cruciform
plan with north-west tower and south-east vestry. Chiselled sandstone with
sandstone ashlar dressings; slate roof. 3-stage buttressed tower on tall
plinth. Studded west door with decorative hinges beneath a pointed arch on
slender shafts. Roundel with trefoil tracery to second stage. 2-light
louvred bell-openings beneath pointed head-stopped hood-moulds to third
stage. Broach spire with lucarnes, weathervane and cross. Nave west window
of 4 lights with foiled intersecting tracery; north and south nave windows
of 2 lights, alternately geometric and foiled intersecting tracery; transept
windows of 3 lights with geometric tracery, between buttresses; east window
of 4 lights with geometric tracery. All windows have pointed head-stopped
hood-moulds. A string course at west door impost level becomes a continuous
sill band around all parts of the church. Vestry has a pointed door to
south and 2-light mullion and transom window to west. Coped gables with
gable crosses throughout. Centre ridge stack to vestry. Interior: original
fittings survive intact. East window by Hardman.


Listing NGR: SE7214667771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.