This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1536 / 51°9'12"N
Longitude: -3.3053 / 3°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 308807
OS Northings: 140176
OS Grid: ST088401
Mapcode National: GBR LR.7QGC
Mapcode Global: VH6GW.N8HJ
Entry Name: The Old Rectory Guest House
Listing Date: 28 April 1978
Last Amended: 21 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264891
Location: Sampford Brett, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Sampford Brett
Built-Up Area: Williton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST04SE SAMPFORD BRETT CP
2/129 The Old Rectory Guest House
(formerly listed as Rectory)
Rectory, now Guest House. Late medieval, enlarged mid C16, refronted late C18, partially demolished 1903. Red sandstone
random rubble, hipped slate roof overhanging eaves, coved cornice, stone stack right between first and second bays.
"L"-plan, late medieval core in East range, originally kitchen to South, parlour to North, latter extended West mid C16
forming courtyard plan, West wing and part of South demolished 1903. Garden front (East range) 2 storeys, 5 bays;
irregularly placed 12 pane sash windows, ground floor inserted French window right, 2 long 18 pane sash windows centre,
end bay left tripartite 18 pane sash window with arched doorway, leaded fanlight and half glazed door, panelled
reveals, these 2 bays rendered with 2 and a half bay asbestos sheet roofed trellis verandah which originally ran the
length of the facade. Left return 3 bays, 2 blocked, entrance now set in angle at rear. Interior: remodelled late C18
early C19, unusual 6 panel compartment ceiling, flat beads carved with vine and pomegranate motif, in service room in
North wing. Fine 4 bay arch braced roof with wind braces above 3 central bays on East front, said to be smoke blackened
indicating open hall. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, November 1979).
Listing NGR: ST0880740176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings