History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

93/95 and 97, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barkway, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9989 / 51°59'56"N

Longitude: 0.0144 / 0°0'51"E

OS Eastings: 538384

OS Northings: 235301

OS Grid: TL383353

Mapcode National: GBR K8B.QFH

Mapcode Global: VHHL6.60GY

Entry Name: 93/95 and 97, High Street

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162487

Location: Barkway, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Barkway

Built-Up Area: Barkway

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Barkway

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Chishall

Listing Text

BARKWAY HIGH STREET
TL 3835 (East side)
Barkway
9/33
Nos. 93/95,
27.5.68 and 97

GV II*


House, at one time 3 dwellings now 2. Late C15, floored and stack
inserted c.1600, divided and altered mid C18. Timber frame, rendered,
part red brick cased, some weatherboarding. Steeply pitched hipped
thatched roof. Wealden house. Now all 2 storeys. Hall range has
symmetrical C18 red brick refronting below original coved eaves. Central
plank and muntin door with gauged brick flat arched head, simple hood
and brackets. Flanking openings have gauged brick cambered heads, that
to right blind, to left a 16 pane sash. 3 blind horizontal panels above
with a horizontal sliding sash to inserted upper floor. Projecting brick
course to plaster coving, 2 brackets project to support wall plate.
Originally jettied crosswings underbuilt in C18 red brick. Both have
outer entrances, plank and muntin doors with simple brackets to hoods.
20 pane glazing bar sashes in shallow reveals. Rendered first floors, a
horizontal sliding sash to left, small sash to right. Axial ridge stack
inserted in through passage, rebuilt cap. Left return has weatherboarded
dado, rendered above, C19 external stack with offsets. Right return is
C18 and later red brick. Rendered to rear with mixed casements, some
early 2 and 3 light windows. Small slate roofed outshuts added to rear.
Interior: exposed framing of large scantling, curved passing tension
braces. Hall has shutter grooves, peg holes for a bench at upper end.
Crown post roof with downward braces. c.1600 stop chamfered bearer,
joists and fireplace lintel. c.1600 painted decoration in hall and
parlour. (VCH 1914: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3838435301

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.