History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Ramerick Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ickleford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0012 / 52°0'4"N

Longitude: -0.2945 / 0°17'40"W

OS Eastings: 517175

OS Northings: 235009

OS Grid: TL171350

Mapcode National: GBR H58.JCM

Mapcode Global: VHGNC.VY5S

Entry Name: Old Ramerick Manor

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174339

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163051

Location: Ickleford, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ickleford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ickleford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Henlow

Listing Text

ICKLEFORD BEDFORD ROAD
TL 13 SE (East side)

2/41 Old Ramerick Manor
9.6.52

- II*

Manor house, now a farmhouse. Late medieval former open hall house
incorporated in later additions. C16 E crosswing; a farmhouse by 1625;
hall floored in stages in C17; late C17 NE wing (a granary on 1st
floor); W front bay, staircase wing at rear, and regular brick front to
house early C18. NW service wing has date 'RE/1829' cut over entrance.
Restored 1953-4. Presumably timber framed (suggested by record of
breaking down part of wall during seizure by Lord Cobham in 1530), NE
wing of clunch masonry with red brick dressings and independent timber
supporting structure to 1st floor granary, front of dark red brick with
some blue bricks and lighter red brick dressings, red brick to NW wing,
roughcast exterior to rear stair wing. Steep old red tile roofs, hipped
with zig-zag tile patterning to front, extending as catslide over rear
outshut, and hipped on NW wing. A large 2-storeys house about 400M to E
of main road standing at N of farmstead facing S on a site still moated
on 2 sides. Near symmetrical S front has 1st floor windows grouped
2:3:2, central 6-panels moulded door in Doric pilastered surround with
flat entablature, corresponding windows on ground floor but LH pair
replaced c.1900 by rectangular brick bay with 3 sash windows with 8/1
panes and parapet. This front has a projecting band at eaves level below
the parapet, and flush-box sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6
panes. Large chimney with triangular pilaster strip to RH of door.
Similar front to E end. 2-storeys and attic NE wing has gable parapets
on corbelled brick kneelers and roughcast gable triangle. Chimney
inserted in early C19 to serve farm office in base. 2-storeys NW service
wing faces W with 2 windows to each floor and inscription in blind
recess over central porch. Large internal chimney separates kitchen on S
from dairy at N connecting with lower cellar in rear outshut behind W
room of main range. Gabled stair wing projects at rear over catslide in
angle with E wing. Large rear-wall chimney to hall with gabled dormer to
each side. Interior has fine cut string staircase with 2 barley-sugar
balusters per tread, carved tread ends, swept handrail on barley-sugar
newels, outswept at foot beside hall fireplace. Jacobean oak
chimneypiece with swagged Ionic pilasters on pedestals flanking opening,
and Composite caryatides to overmantle with strapwork ornament and
perspective design in square central feature with niche in middle in
dentilled pedimented frame. Twin keyblocked segmental openings on E wall
of hall. In E wing axial beam, late C16 fireplace with 3 round-headed
niches above lintel, and clasped-purlin roof structure. House and manor
continuously owned by St. John's College Cambridge since 1520/1. (VCH
Beds II (1908)286: RCHM (1911)129: VCH (1912)21-2: Pevsner. (1977)209:
RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1717535009

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.