History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ripon Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1359 / 54°8'9"N

Longitude: -1.5238 / 1°31'25"W

OS Eastings: 431210

OS Northings: 471216

OS Grid: SE312712

Mapcode National: GBR KNSM.W5

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.K9LQ

Entry Name: Ripon Town Hall

Listing Date: 27 May 1949

Last Amended: 19 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330144

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 3171 RIPON MARKET PLACE
1/14 (south side)
27.5.49

Ripon Town Hall
GV (formerly listed as
Town Hall)

II*

1799. Architect: James Wyatt. Stucco. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Entablature
to eaves with friez inscribed "EXCEPT YE LORD KEEP YE CITTIE YE WAKEMAN WAKETH IN
VAIN". Rusticated ground floor, and continuous plain sill band to first floor. Five
bays, of which centre 3 break forward slightly and take a first floor order of Ionic
half-columns, with pediment. Sashes with glazing bars, round-arched on ground floor,
and with moulded architraves. First floor windows have balustrades, stone with vase-
shaped balusters and moulded handrail to outer bays; and delicate cast iron to central
bays.

Interior. Entrance hall is a corridor, redecorated circa 1880 with polychrome tiles
to dado height, and mosaic pavement. Landing has 2 Tuscan columns supporting a
partition wall. Contemporary staircase with moulded balusters, mahogany handrail with
spiral curtail and fluted columnar newel. On the semi-landing is a marble bust of Mrs
Allanson (the patron of the building) protrayed as a Roman matron.

Various chimneypieces in other rooms: for instance, one (in ground floor north-west
room) with fluted pilasters, regularly fluted frieze, "EA" (for Elizabeth Allanson) on
raised central die, and dentilled cornice. One (in Mayor's parlour) and more
elaborate ornament, including high festoons and relief panel depicting mythological
figures. Two larger ones (in Council Chamber) with fluted pilasters, fluted frieze,
badges of Ripon, crossed floral sprays and dentilled cornice. Equally large and more
elaborate one (possibly slightly later) in first floor rear room. Two ornamental
plaster ceilings, one conventionally neo-classical in Council Chamber, one more
elaborate in first floor rear room. Two paintings in Council Chamber, one of Ripon
circa 1730, one of Mrs Allanson painted in 1804 by Henry Milbourne, but copying a
portrait of her at an earlier age.

History. The Town Hall was built by Mrs Elizabeth Allanson of Studley Royal (daughter
and heir of William Aislabie), for the use of the Corporation, and was presented to it
in 1897 by her eventual heir, the First Marquess of Ripon to commemorate his mayoralty
(1895-6). A marble tablet placed inside the hall by Mrs Allanson's sister and heir,
Miss Elizabeth Sophia Lawrence, in 1808, records the benefaction.


Listing NGR: SE3121071216

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.