This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7843 / 51°47'3"N
Longitude: -0.5209 / 0°31'15"W
OS Eastings: 502126
OS Northings: 210548
OS Grid: TL021105
Mapcode National: GBR G6C.14W
Mapcode Global: VHFRY.XFH0
Entry Name: Nettleden House
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157995
Location: Nettleden with Potten End, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP1
Civil Parish: Nettleden with Potten End
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Nettleden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 01 SW NETTLEDEN WITH NETTLEDEN
POTTEN END (North side)
3/214 Nettleden House
- (Formerly listed as Nettleden)
Parsonage, now a private house. 1856 by Lady Marion Alford jointly with
her son John William Spencer, 2nd Earl Brownlow, an amateur architect.
Red brick in English-bond, diapered in blue brick on S front, buff brick
raised quoins and dressings to openings with stone windows and chamfered
plinth offset. Steep brown tiled roofs banded with scalloped tiles. A
large 2-storeys house in a Free Jacobean Style set in terraced gardens
overlooking the village from the N. Gabled 1½-storeys stables a little
to W now linked to main house. Linking garage block not of special
interest. S front has 3 gables over mullioned stone windows to 1st
floor, semi-octagonal stone mullioned bay window on LH and buttress
between 2 3-lights mullioned and transomed stone windows. Wooden sliding
sashes set between mullions. Stone string course. Tall twisted grouped
moulded brick chimney shafts with spurred caps. Arched openings to porch
recessed in SW corner of house with battened door. Terra cotta plaque
over entrance with 'B' and coronet over and '1856'. Large carved stone
armorial achievement projects at SW corner of S front. Built to house
Rev G.S. Cautley formerly tutor to the Earl Brownlow. Cost £2657.14s.5d.
(VCH (1908) 317: Pevsner (1977) 258: inf from Mrs. Jean Simpson).
Listing NGR: TL0212610548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings