History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial, 10 Metres South East of Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Crowcombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1227 / 51°7'21"N

Longitude: -3.2295 / 3°13'46"W

OS Eastings: 314051

OS Northings: 136657

OS Grid: ST140366

Mapcode National: GBR LV.9KNN

Mapcode Global: VH6H3.Z12N

Entry Name: War Memorial, 10 Metres South East of Church House

Listing Date: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265101

Location: Crowcombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Crowcombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Crowcombe

Listing Text

ST1436 CROWCOMBE CP

16/58 War Memorial, 10 metres South
East of Church House

-

GV II

War Memorial. Circa 1920, reset circa 1970. Has stone ashlar about 5.5 metres high. Tuscan column on inscribed
plinth with 2 steps below. Capital surmounted by garland of Tudor roses carrying moulded shelf with tapering support
bearing crest coronet of alternating crosses pattees and fleur de lys filled with naturalistic roses. The plinth is
inscribed to the dead of the First World War on two sides, and to those of the Second World War, and Malayan Campaigns
on the other sides. The earlier lettering is of a higher quality than later additions. An elegant and dignified
memorial, standing apart from the usual Gothic and Celtic style First World War memorials and occupying an important
position in the centre cf the village. The memorial was originally erected in the War Memorial gardens to the West but
was re-erected on this site then when the buildings adjoining the Church House (qv) were demolished. An important
contribution to a good group of listed buildings and the village street scene.

Listing NGR: ST1405036659


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 15 December 2016.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.