This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9187 / 53°55'7"N
Longitude: -1.6484 / 1°38'54"W
OS Eastings: 423188
OS Northings: 447010
OS Grid: SE231470
Mapcode National: GBR JRX3.XZ
Mapcode Global: WHC8R.NR7Q
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330510
Location: Leathley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Leathley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Leathley St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 24 NW LEATHLEY LEATHLEY LANE
(west side, off)
4/42 Church of St Oswald
Church of St Oswald. C12 and C15/16, restored 1869. Coursed gritstone
rubble in tower, remainder ashlar, stone slate roof. West tower; 2-bay nave
with north and south aisles and south porch; chancel of 2 bays with organ
chamber on north side and vestry on south side. Tower of 4 stages, slight
quoins, a narrow single-splayed window to stages 2 and 3 and a larger,
round-headed belfry window. Pyramidal roof. Shallow pointed arch to south
porch and round headed 3-light mullioned windows to south aisle and chancel.
C19 gabled windows, Perpendicular style, at east end of south aisle wall and
chancel. Interior: west wall of nave has round-headed, quoined and
voussoired arch and fine door with elaborate wrought-iron strap hinges and
decoration, probably C12 or C13. Above it a single-splayed window looking
into the second stage of the tower. The 2-bay nave arcades have octagonal
piers with roll-mouldings and emblems in relief on capitals. Unmoulded,
round-headed chancel arch. Chancel has piscina with triangular canopy and
crocketted finials, south side. Memorials to Hitch family on chancel walls.
The restoration of 1869 included a new roof, the replacement of the box pews
and the insertion of the organ into the north aisle chapel. H Speight,
Upper Wharfedale, London, 1900, p 119. N Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding,'
1967, p 301.
Listing NGR: SE2318847012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings