History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Court House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1357 / 54°8'8"N

Longitude: -1.5209 / 1°31'15"W

OS Eastings: 431400

OS Northings: 471202

OS Grid: SE314712

Mapcode National: GBR KNTM.J6

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.L9ZV

Entry Name: The Court House

Listing Date: 27 May 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330151

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-

SE 3171 RIPON MINSTER ROAD
(North Side)
1/9

27.5.49 The Court House

GV II

The grade shall be upgraded to II*, and the following descriptive notes shall be
added after the list entry:

Quarter Sessions, County Court house. 1830. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings.
Slate roof with a single chimney stack. Raised quoins, ashlar plinth, continuous
cill band, and moulded eaves. 5 bay south front. Single storey. Off-centre
doorway with ashlar doorcase with 2 Doric columns supporting an entablature and
pediment, 8 panel door with glazing bar overlight. To the left a single and to the
right 3 round headed glazing bar sashes with Gothick upper glazing, in plain ashlar
surrounds with impost blocks and keystones. Either side are small sections of wall
3 metres high with ashlar coping and matching doorways, round headed with plain
ashlar surrounds with impost blocks and keystones, plus reinforced doors. Interior
has cross passage leading from the main entrance, with to the west the Old Jury Room
and the Justice's Retiring Room. To the east the main Court Room with a central
table at a lower level with plain panelled partitions. To the north the Clerk's
Chair above and behind the Judge's Seat with ornate back board. To the north the
Grand Jury Box, to the south the Petty Jury Box, and to the east the Defendents'
Boxes and the Witness Box, with above and behind the Bailiff's Box and the central
Prisoner's box with steps down to the cells. Beyond the former Old Gallery now
houses the Clerk's Office. The Courtroom has moulded plaster coving and dado plank
panelling. Over the Justice's Chair a Royal Coat-of-Arms. This building probably
stands on the site of the medieval Liberty Court.

------------------------------------

RIPON MINSTER ROAD
SE 3171
1/9 (north side)
27.5.49
The Court House
GV
II


Listing NGR: SE3140371202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.