This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9826 / 53°58'57"N
Longitude: -1.7044 / 1°42'15"W
OS Eastings: 419482
OS Northings: 454102
OS Grid: SE194541
Mapcode National: GBR JQJD.S2
Mapcode Global: WHC8J.S5K6
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331438
Location: Fewston, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Fewston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fewston St Michael and St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
FEWSTON MAIN STREET
SE 15 SE
6/46 Church of St Lawrence
GV II *
Church. Tower medieval with restoration c1800, remainder dated 1697 with
C19 alterations. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof.
3-stage tower, 5-bay nave with north aisle and gabled open south porch, bay
2; 3-bay chancel. Rusticated quoins. The tower has c1800 round-arched
belfry windows with impost band, coved cornice, battlemented parapet with
corner pinnacles, offset diagonal buttresses and the roofline of an earlier
steeply-pitched roof on the east face. South porch: 5 steps up to outer
entrance - shallow segmental arch flanked by pilasters and projecting band
over the arch with keystone dated 1697, pulvinated frieze and cornice;
shaped kneelers, gable coping, cross at apex. Massive inner door of 3
panels, probably original. Nave: 4 cross windows in eared architraves with
projecting sills supported on consoles and pulvinated friezes above.
Continuous dripmould stepped out over windows, cavetto-moulded cornice
above, stone gutter brackets to higher eaves line, shaped kneelers, gable
coping. Chancel: south face - central 4-panel door in eared architrave with
projecting keystone supporting sill of 2-light recessed chamfered window
with flat-faced mullion; similar 2-light window to right and single light to
left; window surrounds, dripmould, eaves cornice, gutter brackets as nave.
Shaped kneeler and gable coping to right. East window: 3-light
Perpendicular reusing medieval tracery; hoodmould. North side: 5 aisle
windows to nave, 2-light with plain raised surrounds. Interior: Tuscan
arcade of 4 round arches with cushion capitals to columns; similar chancel
arch. Trefoil arch to piscina in chancel north wall. c1697 octagonal stone
font with oak cover carved with scrolls and foliage; suspended from cast-
iron brackets. The church is also referred to as dedicated to St Michael
and St Lawrence.
Listing NGR: SE1948254102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings