History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Foxholes, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1297 / 54°7'47"N

Longitude: -0.4843 / 0°29'3"W

OS Eastings: 499139

OS Northings: 471491

OS Grid: SE991714

Mapcode National: GBR TN1P.YC

Mapcode Global: WHGCR.JGLF

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 10 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329340

Location: Foxholes, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Foxholes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Foxholes St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Foxholes

Listing Text

FOXHOLES BUTTERWICK
SE 97 SE
10 Church of St Nicholas
10.10.66
- II *
Church. C14, incorporating C12 fabric at west end; late C18 bellcote; porch
added during restoration of 1882. Restoration by G Fowler Jones. Coursed
squared sandstone with slate roof; bellcote and part of west end rebuilt in
red brick in random bond. Timbered gable and stone flag roof to porch.
West bellcote; continuous nave and chancel; south porch. C19 battered
buttress, incorporating earlier carved masonry, at west end. Tumbled brick
gable end. Gabled bellcote on plinth has two round-arched openings and
gable cross. Porch has restored Tudor-arched doorway beneath gable with
scalloped barge board. C19 nail-studded door. To east two single lights
with restored curvilinear tracery, the easternmost between reset corbel
heads. Blocked lancet in centre. No openings on north side. C19 square-
'headed east window, of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery, beneath hoodmould
with reset corbel head above. Gable cross. Coped gables. Interior: plain
piscina and aumbry in chancel south wall. Low segment-arched tomb niche in
chancel north wall. Splendid drum font with arcading and cable-moulding on
original shaped foot and circular base. Monuments: early C14 effigy,
probably of Robert FitzRalph, Lord Grimthorpe and Greystock (d1317). He
wears a long surcoat and carries a shield bearing faint traces of the arms
of Grimthorpe. His crossed legs rest on a puppy and a winged head. Also
late C13 graveslab with a sword, shield and carved vines enclosed in a
dogtooth border.


Listing NGR: SE9913971491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.