History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tatefield Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in North Rigton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9617 / 53°57'42"N

Longitude: -1.5829 / 1°34'58"W

OS Eastings: 427464

OS Northings: 451817

OS Grid: SE274518

Mapcode National: GBR KQDM.3L

Mapcode Global: WHC8L.NPG7

Entry Name: Tatefield Hall

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174528

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330528

Location: North Rigton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: North Rigton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Weeton with North Rigton and Stainburn

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Pannal

Listing Text

SE 25 NE NORTH RIGTON BECKWITHSHAW ROAD
(east side, off)

1/60 Tatefield Hall
30/3/66

GV II


House. C16 with alterations C19 and C20. Ashlar, stone slate roof.
2 storeys, 2 first-floor windows. Garden front: entrance to right has plain
surround and is blocked by C20 12-pane window. To left: two 2-light
recessed, flat-faced mullion windows with C20, 9-pane casements. Similar
4-light windows above, with C20 leaded lights. Central and left gable
stacks. Right gable has C20 panelled central door, a 2-light double-
chamfered window between the 2 first-floor windows, and an oval window in
twisted-rope surround in gable above with sundial over. Interior: front
room right has fine open fireplace wth timber mantle beam. Remains of a
stone spiral stair to left. The remains of a second spiral stair and thick
stone walls in the cellar suggest that the core of the house is medieval.
The house underwent alteration 1870-1900. It was occupied by B W J Kent a
collector and antiquary who died c1970. The grounds contain many items from
his collection, including sundials, carved heads, quern stones , cannons.
H Speight, Kirkby Overblow and District, London, 1903, p 122.


Listing NGR: SE2744251787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.