This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4361 / 54°26'9"N
Longitude: -0.7241 / 0°43'26"W
OS Eastings: 482856
OS Northings: 505265
OS Grid: NZ828052
Mapcode National: GBR RKD4.1K
Mapcode Global: WHF8Y.VRCM
Entry Name: Outbuldings Approximately 10 Metres East of the Station Tavern
Listing Date: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327607
Location: Grosmont, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Grosmont
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Grosmont St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: York
GROSMONT FRONT STREET
NZ 80 NW
3/131 Outbuildings approxi-
mately ten metres
east of the
Workshops and smithy with tenements over; now workshops, stable, garage
and storerooms. c.1835. For the Whitby to Pickering Railway Company;
occupied by John Buttery and others. Tooled sandstone with pantile roof;
one stack rebuilt in brick. Long 2-storey range with irregular openings.
Far right end contains garage. Former smithy at far left end has board
door between 2-light, 12-pane casement windows. At centre left are paired
doorways with slatted doors giving access to spiral stair. Other ground
floor openings are grouped or wide doorways, some with board doors, beneath
painted timber or stone lintels. Windows are square and shuttered, with
stone sills. At first floor level access was gained originally from
staircase openings at centre left to tenement doorways on either side by
means of a cantilevered walkway along building front. At left end and at
right of staircase openings are 16-pane sash windows with painted stone
sills. Further right is another 16-pane sash, a shuttered window and at
far end three altered windows. All original openings have tooled lintels.
Coped gable and shaped kneeler at right end. End and intermediate ridge
stacks. The buildings, mentioned in 1836 Deeds of the Tunnel Inn (now the
Station Tavern, q.v.), in dilapidated condition at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: NZ8285605265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings