History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Stables Approximately 30 Metres to West of Dinthill Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7089 / 52°42'32"N

Longitude: -2.8484 / 2°50'54"W

OS Eastings: 342777

OS Northings: 312700

OS Grid: SJ427127

Mapcode National: GBR BD.2HF8

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.65WL

Entry Name: Barn and Stables Approximately 30 Metres to West of Dinthill Hall

Listing Date: 27 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174565

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259078

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T)
SJ 41 SW
SJ 4277 1270
9/18 Barn and stables approx.
- 30 metres to west of Dinthill
Hall

GV II

Barn and stables, now milking parlour. Circa 1734, with some minor late
C20 alterations and additions. Red brick with plain tile roof. Barn with
central entrance and ground-floor stables at each end. One storey and loft.
Vertical vents. Parapeted gables, 2 with stone coping. North front:
central gabled break with segmental-headed, 2-light loft casement and large
segmental-headed cart entrance with hinge blocks. Flanking set-back ranges
each have a pair of segmental-hooded 2-light wooden casements flanking a
central segmental-headed doorway. The right-hand doorway retains a chamfered
wooden frame and gabled hood on carved shaped brackets. The left-hand range
has been slightly altered, with boarded right-hand window, blocked left-hand
window (partly obscured by an inserted doorway), and blocked central doorway.
Gable ends with loft doors (the right hand one partly blocked) and small
circular stone owl holes in the apices above. The left-hand side of the
front wall has been partly obscured by some late C20 lean-to additions.
The barn and stable forms part of the farm buildings to the west of Dinthill
Hall (q.v.), also including a dovecote (q.v.). Despite some minor alterations,
this is still a complete and well-detailed example of an unusual combined
building type.


Listing NGR: SJ4277712700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.