This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.731 / 52°43'51"N
Longitude: -2.8225 / 2°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 344551
OS Northings: 315133
OS Grid: SJ445151
Mapcode National: GBR BF.13S6
Mapcode Global: WH8BL.MM46
Entry Name: Remains of Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259080
Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BICTON C.P. BICTON
SJ 41 NW
SJ 4475 1514
5/20 Remains of Church of the
- Holy Trinity
Remains of chapel of ease. Probably early C18, with squires' pews of
1754 and 1833 and nave extended c.1788. Red brick walls with some grey
sandstone ashlar dressings. Roofless. 4-bay nave and chancel in one
with later squires' pews to north (of 1754 to north-west and 1833 to north-
east) and later nave extension to west. Chamfered brick plinth, flush
stone quoins and dentil brick eaves cornice. Wooden cross windows.
West doorway and west window. Interior with evidence of former plaster
and round-arched north doorway to 1833 pew with pair of doors, each with
3 beaded flush panels. North-east pew with corner fireplace. Evidence
of former west porch (see holes in brickwork) built in 1858. This was a
chapelry of the Church of Saint Chad in Shrewsbury until 1853. The
nave was extended to accommodate an altar-piece taken from Saint Chad's
Church when the latter collapsed in 1788. The church was replaced by a
new Church of the Holy Trinity (q.v.) in 1887, but was still roofed in the late C19.
The ruined church stands in an overgrown churchyard. D.H.S. Cranage,
An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire (Shrewsbury volume),
Listing NGR: SJ4455115133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings