History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spearman Memorial and Railed Enclosure Approximately 6 Metres to North West of the Remains of the Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.731 / 52°43'51"N

Longitude: -2.8227 / 2°49'21"W

OS Eastings: 344542

OS Northings: 315140

OS Grid: SJ445151

Mapcode National: GBR BF.13R2

Mapcode Global: WH8BL.MM25

Entry Name: Spearman Memorial and Railed Enclosure Approximately 6 Metres to North West of the Remains of the Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 27 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174596

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259083

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. BICTON
SJ 41 NW
5/23 Spearman memorial and
- railed enclosure approx. 6
metres to north-west of the
remains of the Church of
the Holy Trinity

GV II

Chest tomb with railed enclosure. Dated 1824. Grey sandstone ashlar
tomb. Sarcophagus type. Moulded plinth, fluted corner piers, moulded
cornice, and concave top to gadrooned and fluted pyramidal cap with small
globe finial. Inscribed: "IN MEMORY OF JOHN SPEARMAN. Esqr. / late of
OXON in this County, who died / Decr 27th, 1824, aged 60 years". Further
inscription to the memory of Richard Spearman too. Wrought-iron railed
enclosure with spearhead railings and square-section standards with urn
finials. The former Church of the Holy Trinity (q.v.), now ruined, was
replaced by a new building in the village in 1887.


Listing NGR: SJ4454215140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.