History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridgefoot House and Town Council Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Buntingford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9457 / 51°56'44"N

Longitude: -0.0168 / 0°1'0"W

OS Eastings: 536406

OS Northings: 229329

OS Grid: TL364293

Mapcode National: GBR K8W.W13

Mapcode Global: VHGNX.NCH7

Entry Name: Bridgefoot House and Town Council Offices

Listing Date: 6 July 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174652

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159816

Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buntingford

Built-Up Area: Buntingford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD UNION TERRACE
(east side)

7/2 Bridgefoot house
and Town Council Offices
-

GV II


Buntingford Union Workhouse, now hostel, halls and offices. 1836,
SW wing added 1872 as board room, clerk's office and large dining
room. Yellow brick with red brick at rear, and slate roofs. A
large symmetrical building facing W with projecting centre of a
high basement and 2 storeys, and 2 storeys wings. 2 storeys 1872
extension (Town Council Offices) in matching materials, attached
at SW corner. Heavy dentilled brick cornice and central
pediment. 1:3:3:3:1 windows to main front. SW extension of 5
windows with 2 windows across pedimented W end. Recessed
pivotting wooden windows with small panes. Margin-light sash
windows to extension with glazed canopy along N side. Main
entrance by 6-panel moulded door up 9 steps in stucco Doric
pilastered surround with full entablature. Built to serve the 16
surrounding parishes and to hold 160 inmates. (Kelly (1914)75:
Pevsner (1977) 119).


Listing NGR: TL3640629329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.