History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in London Colney, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7201 / 51°43'12"N

Longitude: -0.2904 / 0°17'25"W

OS Eastings: 518191

OS Northings: 203760

OS Grid: TL181037

Mapcode National: GBR H8R.5DP

Mapcode Global: VHGPX.X1B5

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163657

Location: London Colney, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL2

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Civil Parish: London Colney

Built-Up Area: St Albans

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: London Colney St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
London Colney

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/05/2016

TL 10 SE
13/123

LONDON COLNEY
HIGH STREET (north side)
CHURCH OF ST PETER

GV
II
Parish Church, 1825, by George Smith. An early example of the Norman revival with painted stucco facade when listed in 1984, removed during repairs 1987. Red brick side elevations. Slate roof. Single aisle with 2-storeyed gabled front. The front is tripartite with shallow stepped dividing buttresses, the central buttresses formerly with pinnacles. The door, approached by flight of steps, is round arched and flanked by narrow blank arches. Above is a tripartite arched window. All doors and windows with hood moulds. Most openings have slender shafts with scalloped capitals. Side elevations with 5 round-headed cast iron casements. Interior has 4 wooden roof trusses and a 6-column rear gallery. Stained glass E windows, depicting ascension, designed by the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford and made by Hughes in 1865. 1983/84 N extension.

(Pevsner (1977), Barker Kenneth, (2010) The History of St Peter's Church, London Colney).


Listing NGR: TL1819103760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.