History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Witches Hollow

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8121 / 51°48'43"N

Longitude: -0.5655 / 0°33'55"W

OS Eastings: 498989

OS Northings: 213576

OS Grid: SP989135

Mapcode National: GBR F4L.7W6

Mapcode Global: VHFRR.4QX7

Entry Name: Witches Hollow

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157747

Location: Little Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Little Gaddesden

Built-Up Area: Little Gaddesden

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Gaddesden

Listing Text

LITTLE GADDESDEN RINGSHALL DRIVE
SP 91 SE (West side)
Ashridge Park

1/216 Witches Hollow
-

GV II

House, sometime on inn. C17, converted to 2 houses in late C17 or early
C18, altered c.1850, converted to one house 1936. Timber frame cased in
red brick with brick extensions and old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys and
cellar house facing W with 4 windows to 1st floor, 2 2-storeys
rectangular hipped bay windows, casement windows between with lobby
entrance opposite large internal chimney a third from N end surmounted
by a cruciform diagonally set shaft. A pair of diagonally set square
shafts to S gable chimney with single-storey extension to S. Small brick
vaulted oven in N room, and cellar under rear wing at NE. Gabled stair
turret with herringbone brickwork on flank above roof of entrance lobby
at E, with timber framed gabled porch. Interior shows walls heightened
by 2ft, and new roof propped off old roof. Frame has jowled posts,
tie-beams and braces cut through, and wide spaced studs in front and
rear walls. Side purlin roof to NE rear wing with jowled posts.
Chamfered axial floorbeams. Formerly on inn on the route to Berkhamsted
crossing the main road to W of house now stopped up. Associated with
Rosina Jane Massey who was reputed a witch locally in the mid C19.


Listing NGR: SP9898913576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.