This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1975 / 51°11'50"N
Longitude: -2.3327 / 2°19'57"W
OS Eastings: 376846
OS Northings: 144303
OS Grid: ST768443
Mapcode National: GBR 0SN.YWK
Mapcode Global: VH97L.J54B
Entry Name: School and Attached Schoolhouse
Listing Date: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174777
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266849
Location: Trudoxhill, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Trudoxhill
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST74SE TRUDOXHILL CP LOWER MARSTON
7/149 School and attached schoolhouse
School and schoolhouse. Dated 1857 by William Butterfield for the Duke of Cork and Orrery. Squared and coursed Doulting
rubble, asbestos tile roof, coped verges, 4 ashlar stacks with moulded caps, 2 springing from front eaves decorated
with a gabled niche. Irregular plan, Gothic. One and 2-storeys, 1:1:1 bays; left bay has tall 2-light pointed head
window with stone tracery, scrolled dripmould; centre bay has paired 2-light mullioned windows, each light with a blank
cusped head; right bay in angular projecting wing with offsets under a pyramidal roof, 2 lancets on the ground floor,
above a 2-light pointed head opening in gablet. Paired door openings to centre, plank doors, that to right with
elaborate combined latch and knocker. Right bay has recessed plaque, cut stone inscription:- "For The Benefit of The
Poor And In Memory of His father Edmund 8th Earl of Cork, Richard Boyl Rector of Marston Built This School".
Listing NGR: ST7684644303
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings