History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitwell Hall Annexe

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitwell-on-the-Hill, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0842 / 54°5'3"N

Longitude: -0.9003 / 0°54'1"W

OS Eastings: 472038

OS Northings: 465922

OS Grid: SE720659

Mapcode National: GBR QP46.WP

Mapcode Global: WHFBM.4LKV

Entry Name: Whitwell Hall Annexe

Listing Date: 25 January 1954

Last Amended: 15 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329554

Location: Whitwell-on-the-Hill, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Whitwell-on-the-Hill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Whitwell St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bulmer

Listing Text

SE 76 NW WHITWELL-ON-THE-HILL MAIN STREET
(west end)

4/64 Whitwell Hall Annexe
(formerly listed as
Whitwell Hall
25.1.54 Outbuildings)

GV II

Stable block and chapel, now converted to hotel use. Probably early C19
with added sundial dated 1864. Sandstone ashlar, Westmorland slate roof.
U-shaped plan with former chapel in central range. 2 storeys with single
storey extensions to wings. Central range: 7 bays, 3-1-3. One first floor
window to each wing. Central bay breaks forward and contains board door
with divided overlight beneath Tudor arch and hoodmould. Outer bays arcaded
with Tudor-arched recesses containing casements with triangular overlights,
except for board door to centre right. Left wing: 2-light mullion
Tudor-arched windows, board doors, and one tall carriage arch. Right wing:
wide open arch, 2-light windows and a coach entrance. First floor of
central range: 2-light Tudor-arched mullion windows throughout except for
casement to left wing. Central octagonal bell-turret with cupola, with
sundial flanked by pinnacles. Gable coping and end stacks to wings. To
rear right facade a C19 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, the only
evidence for a former chapel in this building.


Listing NGR: SE7203865922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.