History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway and Wall of Former Dovecote Adjoining Berwick House to North East

A Grade II Listed Building in Pimhill, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7284 / 52°43'42"N

Longitude: -2.7847 / 2°47'5"W

OS Eastings: 347101

OS Northings: 314813

OS Grid: SJ471148

Mapcode National: GBR BH.1149

Mapcode Global: WH8BM.6P67

Entry Name: Gateway and Wall of Former Dovecote Adjoining Berwick House to North East

Listing Date: 27 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259133

Location: Pimhill, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pimhill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BOMERE HEATH C.P. BERWICK ROAD (west side)
SJ 41 SE
10/72 Gateway and wall of former
- dovecote adjoining Berwick House
to north-east

GV II

Gateway and former dovecote wall. Gateway c.1780, possibly by Robert Mylne,
and dovecote wall c.1731. Gateway of grey sandstone ashlar faced onto red
brick. Triple stepped plinth, dentil cornice, and blocking course with
moulded top and central finial. Round archway with chamfered voussoirs and
square antae with raised and fielded panels and moulded capitals. Pair of
wooden gates. C19 lamp suspended from centre of arch. Front wall of
former dovecote adjoining to right. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar
dressings. 2 storeys. Plinth with chamfered stone top, chamfered quoins,
and remains of moulded cornice. 2 bays, blind windows with moulded stone cills
and gauged-brick heads with triple keystones. Rear of dovecote wall has 189
nesting boxes with brick ledges. A map (still kept at Berwick) made of
Berwick House (q.v.) and its surroundings in 1760 by Thomas Ansell shows the
dovecote, but no gateway between it and the former stable block. Robert Mylne
is known to have carried out some work at Berwick in 1780 for Thomas Jelf Powys
and it is possible that the gateway is all that remains of this. The rest of
the dovecote was probably demolished in 1878 to improve access to the new stable
block (q.v.), built at that date to the north-east of the house. Colvin,
p. 577; Shropshire Libraries maps collection (photocopy of Berwick map).


Listing NGR: SJ4710114813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.