History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Camel, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0189 / 51°1'8"N

Longitude: -2.6014 / 2°36'4"W

OS Eastings: 357914

OS Northings: 124562

OS Grid: ST579245

Mapcode National: GBR MQ.J2RL

Mapcode Global: FRA 56FF.BC4

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 16 August 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262755

Location: West Camel, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: West Camel

Built-Up Area: West Camel

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Queen Camel

Listing Text

ST52SE WEST CAMEL CP PARSONAGE ROAD (West side)

4/147 The Rectory
(Previously listed as
19.4.61 Rectory and Glebe Cottage)

GV II*

Rectory, now house. Probably early C15 with modifications and major
addition of circa 1830. Local stone roughly coursed, with Ham stone
dressings to mullioned windows; Welsh slate roofs, between coped gables
to the early wing and hipped with wide eaves soffites to the C19 wing;
brick chimney stacks. "T"-plan of 2-storeys, the older North wing being
set at right angles to the later. North elevation has 6-bay random
fenestration; Bay-1 plain chamfer mullioned window, nothing above: bay-2
modern casement window below and 3-light ovolo mould mullioned casement
window with leaded lights above, complete with wrought iron casement
window stay; bay 3 a C20 glazed door with C19 casement window above; bay
4 wooden casement window below and early casement window with leaded
lights above; bay 5 old casement window with leaded lights and wood
lintol with nothing above; bay-6 old casement windows with leaded lights
at both levels. The East, roadside, gable has hollow chamfered mullioned
window, blocked with label dressed off, together with later mullioned
windows; low down in the South-east corner traces of a stone door arch
or relieving arch. On the small South return wall another blocked
pointed arch doorway. The matching C19 wing, running Southwards, has
2-storeys of 5-bays, with central 6-panel door with fanlight; 12-pane
sash windows, all in plain openings with flat voussoired heads. Interior
said to contain 4 cusped-archbraced cruck trusses with king-strut braces
to the North wing roof, unusual in Somerset and with suggested date of
1400. Rooms considerably re-arranged and original plan form uncertain.
The older wing may form part of the Grange pertaining to Muchelney
Abbey; the South wing probably added by Revd. Henry Law, Rectory 1824 to
1836. With the C15 Barn (qv) and Dovecote (qv) this is an important
group survival. (VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, 1980; E.K. Garrett, The
Story of West Camel, unpublished MSS in Yeovil Public Library).


Listing NGR: ST5791624563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.