History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lydford-on-Fosse, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0846 / 51°5'4"N

Longitude: -2.6228 / 2°37'21"W

OS Eastings: 356475

OS Northings: 131881

OS Grid: ST564318

Mapcode National: GBR MP.CWX3

Mapcode Global: FRA 56D8.21H

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 17 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267560

Location: Lydford-on-Fosse, Mendip, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Lydford-on-Fosse

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Lydford

Listing Text

ST53SW LYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CP HIGH STREET (West side)
WEST LYDFORD

10/88 Church of St. Peter

-

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. 1846 by B. Ferrey on an earlier site. Coursed and squared lias rubble, Doulting dressings,
stone tile roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with a south porch, north aisle, chancel with a north
vestry, west tower. Archaeologically correct Perpendicular. Tower with set-back buttresses, embattled parapet with
pinnacles, prominant gargoyles, small south stair turret, 2-light bell-chamber windows, 3-light west window; 3 bay
buttressed nave with an embattled parapet, 3-light windows; 4-bay north aisle, again buttressed with embattled parapet,
3-light windows; 2 bay chancel, pierced parapet with pinnacles, 4-light east window. Buttressed porch with paired
wrought-iron dog gates. Loftly plastered interior under elaborate hammer-beam roofs. 4-bay arcade to north aisle, the
piers with 4-hollows mouldings which may be re-used from a C15 structure, though much restored. Plain C15 octagonal
font, a niche to each face of its base. C19 pews; C19 lectern in the form of a carved eagle; C19 pulpit, some C19 metal
plaques to walls with pious texts. C17 chest; small C17 communion table. 5 C19 tables by Reeves of Bath, Wood of
Bristol and Tyley of Bristol. C19 stained glass, particularly the east-window by Wailes of 1852. (Pevsner N. Buildings
of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST5647531881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.