History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Three Tuns Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4945 / 52°29'40"N

Longitude: -2.997 / 2°59'49"W

OS Eastings: 332409

OS Northings: 288982

OS Grid: SO324889

Mapcode National: GBR B6.HW9Z

Mapcode Global: VH75Y.0KGJ

Entry Name: Three Tuns Inn

Listing Date: 2 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256978

Location: Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bishop's Castle

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Castle

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Castle

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bishops Castle

Listing Text

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. SALOP STREET (south
side)

12/67 Three Tuns Inn
-

GV II

House, now inn (retaining brewery q.v.). Late-C16 with mid- to late-
C19 remodelling and additions to rear. Timber framed, rebuilt to left
in coursed limestone rubble and brick, and stuccoed to front (incised
to represent ashlar); slate roof, hipped to right. L-plan; probable
former open hall of 2 bays plus screens passage bay, and 2 framed bay
cross wing to right. 2 storeys and attic. 2 late-C19 gabled eaves
dormers with slate-hung sides and 2-light casements, semi-external
brick end stack to left, and ridge stack on cross wing to right. First
floor early-C19 glazing bar sash to left and mid-C20 three-light case-
ment to right; ground floor central mid-C19 four-pane sash with
bracketed hood; mid-C19 shop front to right consisting of two 4-pane
sashes, and half-glazed panelled door to right with margin lights and
panelled reveals, and bracketed hood overall; mid- to late-C19 two-
panelled double doors off-centre to left (top panels arched) with
bracketed hood; mid- to late-C19 one storey lean-to addition to right
infilling former passageway, 3-light window with thin transom, pilastered
surround and cornice; central Inn sign with elaborate wrought iron
bracket. Plaque in end stack to left commemorating Queen Victoria's
Diamond Jubilee of.1.89.7. Interior: ground floor circa 1600 fireplace
in former cross wing to right of crudely pointed coursed limestone
rubble with cambered chamfered lintel and fading circa 1600 wall painting
above with double-lined border and central panel with the initials "M B",
late-C17 one-flight staircase adjoining stack to east with shaped
balusters, fluted handrail and square newel post; similar balustrade
to basement steps too. Although much altered the former hall range
to east still shows an indication of the former screens passage, at
each end of which were doors, now blocked. Plan much damaged by recent
alterations. The Three Tuns is attached to a still-working small
brewery (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO3240988982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.