History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New England House, and New England Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.936 / 51°56'9"N

Longitude: -0.2707 / 0°16'14"W

OS Eastings: 518979

OS Northings: 227798

OS Grid: TL189277

Mapcode National: GBR H62.QBZ

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.8L7Q

Entry Name: New England House, and New England Cottage

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175154

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162656

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Built-Up Area: Hitchin

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ST IPPOLLITTS LONDON ROAD
TL 1827 (West side)
New England

8/44 New England House, and
- New England Cottage

- II

House, now 2 houses. C17 central block with lower projecting crosswing
at N, late C19 parallel front block on E and small N block, early C20
parallel rear block. Central block and crosswing timber framed,
roughcast, red brick later additions. Steep old red tile roofs. A
2-storeys and attics house, set back from road facing E with 1 1/2-storeys
N crosswing projecting to E, 2-storeys parallel blocks to W and E of
central block and small 2-storeys block with slate roof attached to N
side of lower N crosswing. Box dormer windows on roofslope of central
block and very large external S gable red brick chimney with 3 conjoined
square shafts. 2-storeys canted bay windows to S gables of 2 parallel
blocks. The Black Horse P.H. from at least 1799 until 1889, in sale
catalogue of 1805 it has 'a parlor, 2 kitchens, and a small room in
front'. The enclosure of common lands was probably administered from
here 1811-1818. (Inf Mrs. Rance).


Listing NGR: TL1897927798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.