History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Tirnity Church (Church of England)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cottered, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9539 / 51°57'13"N

Longitude: -0.0538 / 0°3'13"W

OS Eastings: 533836

OS Northings: 230165

OS Grid: TL338301

Mapcode National: GBR K8T.K5X

Mapcode Global: VHGNX.04WZ

Entry Name: Holy Tirnity Church (Church of England)

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159865

Location: Cottered, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Cottered

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Throcking

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 33 SW COTTERED COTTERED ROAD
(south side)
THROCKING

1/5 Holy Trinity Church
(C of E)
22.2.67

GV II*


Parish church (parish amalgamated with Cottered in 1932). Lower
part of tower C13, early C15 perpendicular nave and chancel in
one volume (former chancel demolished), C15 S porch, brick upper
part of tower 1660 (panel on S face) for Sir Thomas Soame,
restoration in mid C19 for Rev. Wm. Adams with steeply pitched
roof and additional matching pews, organ chamber and vestry added
c1879 and organ, pulpit, lectern, and new glazing installed.
Flint rubble plastered with stone dressings to nave and chancel,
base courses of tower in coursed unknapped flint and pebbles,
knapped flint facing around windows, with stone quoins and
dressings. Vestry extension in knapped flint. Upper part of
tower in red brick with stone quoins and moulded brick details.
Steep slated roofs, old red tiled porch. A small church with W
tower and gabled vestry/organ projection on N side. Diagonal
stone buttresses with flint flushwork, to W of nave and E of
chancel. Chancel separated by one step from the nave with 3-
light C15 traceried E window and stained glass Good Shepherd
c1879 by Clayton & Bell. On N wall small original door now to
vestry, and C19 stone screen to organ. Tall single light C14
window on S wall with C15 traceried head. A C17 poppy-head on
benches in chancel has carving of acrobats. Nave has a C15 2-
light traceried window with ferramenta in N and S wall and C15 S
doorway with moulded jambs and 4-centred arch under a square
label and carved spandrels. 6 consecration crosses painted at
irregular intervals along each wall, polychrome tile floors, and
steep 5-bay timber roof with hammer-beams and arch-braced
collars. C15 tower arch with shafted jambs, moulded capitals,
and 4-centred head. Unbuttressed square tower with C13 deeply
splayed lancet window on N and S side at base and C15 3-light
traceried W windows. A moulded, gauged brick floor band and
ovolo moulded eaves band define the red brick upper part of 1660
with its stone quoins, polygonal SW turret on an ogee moulded
corbel, round arched opening in each face (Y-tracery remains on W
& E sides), plain parapet with stumps of corner pinnacles, and
moulded brick date panel on S with shouldered architrave and
scrolls. Gabled S porch with some flushwork diagon buttresses
and moulded stone plinth continuing around nave and chancel. 4-
centred arched entrance with moulded jambs and square label.
Graffiti on jambs of S door. Single-light window in E wall.
Clasped-purlin roof. Fittings include a C15 octagonal clunch
font with panelled stem and sides, C17 benches in nave (with C19
copies), fine heraldic floor slabs to Thomas Soame 1670 and
Robert Elwes 1752, fine pedimented inscription tablet to Robert
Elwes 1753 by Rysbrack with Rococo cartouche and coat of arms
beneath, on W wall a fine broken pedimented marble monument to
Robert Elwes 1731, and on N wall a neo-Grecian marble monument to
Hester Elwes 1770 by Nollekens with seated female by an urn. A
small late medieval church with unusual W tower and fine C18
monuments. (RCHM (1912) 220-1: VCH (1914) 113-4: Chuck N A
[Guide to Holy Trinity Church, Throcking (1977) priv. print).


Listing NGR: TL3383630165

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.