History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House and Attached Wall to Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pilton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1646 / 51°9'52"N

Longitude: -2.5905 / 2°35'25"W

OS Eastings: 358803

OS Northings: 140755

OS Grid: ST588407

Mapcode National: GBR MQ.6ZFN

Mapcode Global: VH8B0.1ZTM

Entry Name: The Manor House and Attached Wall to Rear

Listing Date: 2 June 1961

Last Amended: 17 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267585

Location: Pilton, Mendip, Somerset, BA4

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Pilton

Built-Up Area: Pilton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Pilton

Listing Text

ST54SE PILTON CP CUMHILL HILL (West side)

15/113 The Manor House and attached wall
to rear
(The Manor House previously
listed)

2.6.61

GV II*

Abbatial residence, subsquently a manor house. Established by Abbot Michael of Amesbury, 1235-52; refurbished by Abbot
Adam of Sodbury, 1323-34; further work by Abbot John Chinnock 1315-1420; C17 additions by Edward, Earl of Hereford
rebuilt by Edward Andrews, a Bristol merchant c1754; later C18 additions. L-plan; symmetrical classical frontage with
added Gothic features, some of which may be re-used medieval work; wing at right angles to rear in an ebbulient Gothick
style. Coursed and squared rubble, crenellated ashlar parapets, crocketted finials, predominantly ashlar stacks, hipped
tile, pantile and slate roofs. Frontage of 2 storeys, 5 bays, ashlar end pilasters, a 2-stage ashlar buttress to each
side, cornice band, continuous bands over window heads; 12-pane sash windows to first floor in plain stone surrounds;
except Venetian window to centre, centre-light with a keystone, sash window to each light; 18-pane sash windows to
ground floor in plain stone surrounds; except narrow 6-pane sash windows flanking central door opening, that to right
blank and painted to resemble a sash window. Door opening in a moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, segmental
pediment, half-glazed door. Truncated projecting rubble stack to right return with off-sets. Projecting canted turret
to left return, 4 narrow windows in dressed stone surrounds with cusped heads. Wing to rear with 3 large triple-light
gothic windows to South side, traceried sash windows; French windows; further window with a cusped head. To rear a
gabled stair-turret, 2 and 3-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, 2 with leaded lights; adjacent a ribbed and studded
door in an ovolo-moulded surround; inside a further cambered head door opening in a chamfered stone surround. Interior
with a panelled room to right of ground floor, moulded plaster cornice, fireplace in a bolection moulded surround. Two
rooms in wing to rear with eleborate Gothick plasterowork, particularly around the windows. Some early turned balusters
at top of stairs. Many further features. Coursed and squared rubble wall to rear, moulded cornice, 2 pointed arch door
openings in dressed stone surrounds. (Private guide prepared by the owner).


Listing NGR: ST5880240749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.