History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pimhill, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.7717 / 52°46'18"N

Longitude: -2.7546 / 2°45'16"W

OS Eastings: 349188

OS Northings: 319613

OS Grid: SJ491196

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.YHDD

Mapcode Global: WH8BF.NLHH

Entry Name: Church of Saint Martin

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259162

Location: Pimhill, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Pimhill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Albrighton with Battlefield St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 41 NE
6/99 Church of Saint Martin

Chapel of ease, latterly parish church, now redundant. C12, altered
probably in the C14 and C15, partly rebuilt and enlarged in 1866 by
Samuel Pountney Smith. Reduced in size in 1973 by the demolition of
most of the 1866 work. Dressed red sandstone with ashlar dressings,
and remains of limewashing to east. C19 work in dressed yellow and
red sandstone. Plain tile roof. Nave and chancel in one. The demol-
ished 1866 work consisted of chancel, west tower and south porch incor-
porating the former and present nave and chancel as a south aisle and
chapel. Chamfered plinth, and parapeted gable ends with copings and
truncated finials, and that to west with gabled kneelers. South side:
large buttress with chamfered offsets between have and chancel off-
centre to right. C19 buttress to left. 3 square-headed windows of
2 and 3 trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals. Right-hand window
is C14 or C15 and the left-hand windows are C19. Chamfered round-
arched C12 priest's doorway with boarded door. C19 south doorway to
left with continuously-moulded arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and
boarded door with wrought-iron strap hinges. North side: rebuilt
in 1866, with 3-bay former nave arcade consisting of octagonal piers
with chamfered bases and moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches.
C20 three-light windows. Blocked chamfered arch to left, formerly
between chancel and south chapel. Remains of C19 chamfered tower arch
adjoining to north-west and fragment of former C19 chancel adjoining to
north-east with remains of chamfered-arched window and buttress. West
end: rebuilt in 1866. Chamfered round-arched windows consisting of
spokes dividing 6 trefoil-ended lights. Boarded door to left with chamf-
ered reveals, formerly to tower stair. East end: window of 2 trefoil-
headed lights with quatrefoil in apex and chamfered reveals. Interior:
C19 trussed -rafter roof:, south side supported on wooden corbels with
lower wooden wall plate. Blocked north arcade as outside. C19 windows
and south door with chamfered rear arches. Fittings: good carved
wooden fittings made by a C19 vicar, the Revd. E.D. Poole. Carved
wooden altar table on low dais with carved front,and reredos with flanking
creed, Lord's Prayer and commandment boards. Carved wooden choir stalls,
lectern and pulpit with pierced traceried panels. Wooden pews of 1866.
Probably C16 octagonal stone font with moulded top, C19 base, and C19
wooden cover with wrought ironwork. Probably C17 oak parish chest with
single lock. Royal coat of arms to left of south door, painted on
canvas. Pair of painted wooden benefactors' boards on east wall, one
with the names of Thomas Matthews and Thomas Shore, churchwardens and
dated 1794 and the other with the names of William Thompson and William
Kent, churchwardens, dated 1841. Monuments: early C14 carved stone
coffin slab consisting of a bust of a man above a foliated cross set
in a panel with rounded base and crocketed ogee canopy above. Preston
Gubbals was a chapelry of Saint Alkmund, Shrewsbury, and takes its name
from the priest in charge at the time of the Domesday survey, Godebold.
The 1866 rebuilding cost £1,600. The walls of the former nave, chancel
and tower still remain standing to approximately one metre high to the
north. The church is now invested in the Redundant Churches Fund.
B.o.E., pp. 231-2; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches
of Shropshire, Shrewsbury churches, pp. 863-4, Kelly's Directory of
Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), p. 183.

Listing NGR: SJ4918819613

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.