This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1684 / 51°10'6"N
Longitude: -2.3667 / 2°22'0"W
OS Eastings: 374454
OS Northings: 141081
OS Grid: ST744410
Mapcode National: GBR 0T0.NFQ
Mapcode Global: VH97K.XWNP
Entry Name: Former Village Reading Room
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266936
Location: Witham Friary, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Witham Friary
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
S174SW WITHAM FRIARY CP
6/238 Former Village Reading Room
Former village reading room, once dovecot, now store. Circa 1300, attached to Carthusian Priory, substantially
remodelled and restored by Gill in 1900 for the Duke of Somerset. Local limestone rubble, squared quoins, diagonal 2
stage buttresses, plain tile roof with bellcast and parapets, brick stack to left. Rectangular, Tudoresque gabled
facade. 3 window height, though interior unfloored, one bay, 5-light chamfered stone mullions window to first floor,
above, small square attic light. Central door opening, chamfered segmental headed stone surround, plank door, strap
hinges with Art Noveau motif. Tall 2-light mullion and transom window in left return. Single storey pent roofed outshut
to right side. Interior contains traces of pigeon holes, and fireplace of the restoration, being a copy of that at the
Charterhouse of Mount Grace in Yorkshire.
Listing NGR: ST7445441081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings