History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Netley Hall and Attached Service Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Condover, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6114 / 52°36'40"N

Longitude: -2.7794 / 2°46'45"W

OS Eastings: 347322

OS Northings: 301793

OS Grid: SJ473017

Mapcode National: GBR BH.8GG5

Mapcode Global: WH8C6.8MQF

Entry Name: Netley Hall and Attached Service Buildings

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259342

Location: Condover, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Condover

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Stapleton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dorrington

Listing Text

SJ 40 SE CONDOVER C.P. -

9/41 Netley Hall and attached
- service buildings (formerly
29.1.52 listed as Netley Hall in the
Parish of Stapleton)
- II

Country house. 1854-8 by Edward Haycock. Red brick with rusticated quoins
and stone dressings; slate roof concealed by open stone balustrade over
modillioned eaves cornice, ridge stacks. Restrained Classical style. 3
storeys with stone cill band across each floor; 5 bays, central bay stone-
faced with rusticated pilaster strips; windows all cross-paned sashes in
eared architraves to first and second floors and with console brackets to
ground floor; central entrance, tall 8-panel double doors with rectangular
overlight flanked by fixed-light windows; Tuscan porch with 2 pairs of
columns and moulded entablature of triglyphs, metopes and guttae. Left.
return of 3 bays has full-height 3-window canted bay to centre; 6 bays to
rear. Rectangular 4-bay service block set back to right has clock tower
protruding from roof, 5 glazing bar sashes to rear: long single-storey
ranges attached, flanking back courtyard, the south-eastern one with Doric-
columned verandah behind, facing garden. Interior: central rectangular
hall lit by stained glass ceiling; Tuscan pilasters to long walls and to
right an open screen of 2 Tuscan columns, behind which rises a staircase,
with decorated cast-iron balusters, starting in one flight and returning
to the first floor in 2; cast-iron balustrade to first floor with the
dates of the building of the house (1854-8) picked out in the decorative
details; mid-C17 oak panelling in small ante-room behind porch and more
in another ground-floor room to right, including an elaborately carved
fireplace overmantel with grotesque figures, said to come from the house at
Greet (near Tenbury Wells), demolished in 1920s. B.O.E. p. 216.


Listing NGR: SJ4732201793

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.