History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hinton House (South Range)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hinton St. George, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9078 / 50°54'28"N

Longitude: -2.8289 / 2°49'44"W

OS Eastings: 341814

OS Northings: 112367

OS Grid: ST418123

Mapcode National: GBR MD.R53X

Mapcode Global: FRA 46YP.ZPK

Entry Name: Hinton House (South Range)

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Last Amended: 18 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262321

Location: Hinton St. George, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Hinton St. George

Built-Up Area: Hinton St George

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George

Listing Text

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK

7/70 Hinton House
(south range, formerly listed as
part of Hinton House and Stables)
4.2.58

GV II*

Country house, now divided into three; this section retaining the principal rooms. A former medieval house rebuilt
c1500, extended in late C16; current south front of c1630; some mid-C18 reshaping and extensions, probably by Matthew
Brettingham: remodelling of west front began c1796 under by Sir John Soane, architect, but taken over in 1801 by James
Wyatt, and subsequently by his nephew Jeffry, later Sir Jeffry Wyattville; all for the Poulett family, whose seat this
was 1429-1973. Division of house commenced in 1960s. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roofs to very low pitch, hipped in
places, screened by parapets; ashlar chimney stacks with moulded caps. Complex plan. South portion largely 2 storeys
throughout. Formal 3-bay west front in Gothic style, attributable in part to both Soane and Wyatt. Plinth, octagonal
corner turrets, string course, battlemented parapets; the centre bay an angled projection having buttresses to each
angle. Two-light cruciform casement windows of 24 panes, the two upper lights in each window having Gothic-arched and
traceried tops, with labels, these being one window to each of the 3 faces of the centre bay. The ground floor window
to the centre bay has pairs of 3-panel doors below transome level, up 3 steps. South facade, of 10 bays, has bay 1 to
match the west elevation, and the remaining 9 bays, set back, of c1630. Unusually wide bays, with plinth, string
courses, parapet with quatrefoil panels - perhaps a c1800 addition - cruciform casement windows, those to the ground
floor having 48 panes with low cills, and the first floor windows 36 panes, all set in eared architraves with pediments
on consol brackets. Between first floor windows to bays 4/5 is a lead plaque bearing the arms of the first Lord
Poulett, died 1649, and his wife: the lead rainwater stackheads also bear the Poulett arms. East elevation of 4 bays to
match the south: the lower windows, partly below modern ground level, now blocked. Matching return northwards, and on
east side of link way to other sections of the house. Interior only partly inspected; behind the south facade are the
early C17 rooms, three rooms panelled and the west room having a moulded plaster ceiling with central oval set in a
field of strapwork, dated 1636. The large hall and staircase behind the west facade is late C18 in detail, throughout.
The former main entrance to the north, with tower and porte cochere, by Sir Jeffry Wyattville, now forms the seperate
Tower House, (qv). The kitchen court, to the north-east, is now greatly subdivided as Nos 1-19 Brettingham Court (qv),
and the stable court with riding house, to the north-west, now subdivided as Nos 1-6 Wyatt Court (qv). (VCH Somerset,
Vol IV, 1978, pp41-44; Soane, J, Professional Memoirs, 1835, p24; Neale, J.P View of Seats, 2nd Series, IV, 1828).


Listing NGR: ST4121810869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.