History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashwell Further Education Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.0423 / 52°2'32"N

Longitude: -0.1546 / 0°9'16"W

OS Eastings: 526660

OS Northings: 239815

OS Grid: TL266398

Mapcode National: GBR J66.XC5

Mapcode Global: VHGN8.8XLS

Entry Name: Ashwell Further Education Centre

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 19 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162182

Location: Ashwell, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ashwell

Built-Up Area: Ashwell

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ashwell

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(West side)

8/51 No. 23
9.6.52 (Ashwell Further
Education Centre)
(formerly listed as
The Schoolmaster's


Built as school by Merchant Taylor's Company, London, 1681. Extended at
front in C18 and at rear c.1870. Main block is in local C17 red and
white brick, repaired in C19. Plain tile hipped roof. 2 storeys and
attics. Large external chimney stacks on both ends. Moulded brick floor
band, returning as plain band across flanks. 2 triple-hung sash windows
with gauged brick heads. Fielded and flush panel door with flat
bracketed hood. Twin leaded hipped dormer casements. Above door is a
pedimented stone plaque inscribed, 'This school was built by the
Merchant Taylor's Company London 1681, being the guift of Mr. Henry
Colbron, late of London scriveners, deceased. Edward Bushell Master,
John Taylor, Robert Kaye, John Short, John Brett wardens'. Single storey
front right extension of late C18: 1 sash, 1 casement. T-shaped rear
extension, the back range with louvred tiled belfry. Ornamental ridge
tiles. Gothic windows.

Listing NGR: TL2666039814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.