This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1688 / 54°10'7"N
Longitude: -0.6753 / 0°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 486578
OS Northings: 475593
OS Grid: SE865755
Mapcode National: GBR RNQ7.LB
Mapcode Global: WHGCG.LGMY
Entry Name: Palladian Bridge Approximately 90 Metres North-East of Scampston Hall
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175313
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329391
Location: Scampston, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Scampston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Scampston with Wintringham
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 87 NE SCAMPSTON HALL ESTATE
1466/4/51 Palladian Bridge approximately
90 metres north-east of Scampston
Hall (formerly listed as Bridge in
10.10.1966 Scampston Park)
Incorrectly shown on Ordnance Survey map as Palladium Bridge. Bridge and garden pavilion. c1775. By Lancelot 'Capability' Brown for Sir William St Quintin, 5th Baronet. Bridge of tooled sandstone. Pavilion of orange-red brick in stretcher bond, with timber columns, cast-iron railings and slate roof. Triple-span bridge carrying T-shaped, 3-bay pavilion, built over the beck at rear. Bridge has segmental arches of voussoirs between pilaster piers. Moulded cornice, breaking forward over pilasters, forms edge to pavilion floor. Pavilion has pairs of Ionic columns over bridge pilasters, with a frieze of wheatear festoons and drops interrupted by paterae over the columns. Moulded dentilled cornice carries a pediment over centre bay with a duck acroterion. Balustrade of square-section railings halved by rosettes. Hipped roof. Rear: 1-storey, 3 bays, centre bay projecting on shallow segmental arch. Centre bay has lunette window in recessed blind arch, over impost band, returned at each end. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels in right return. Flanking bays blank. Raised dentilled eaves band to centre bay, and boxed eaves to side bays. Centre bay roof hipped.
Listing NGR: SE8657875593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings