History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alberbury Castle, Remains of

A Grade II Listed Building in Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7235 / 52°43'24"N

Longitude: -2.9519 / 2°57'6"W

OS Eastings: 335806

OS Northings: 314403

OS Grid: SJ358144

Mapcode National: GBR B8.1FY3

Mapcode Global: WH8BJ.MTK0

Entry Name: Alberbury Castle, Remains of

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Last Amended: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258922

Location: Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Alberbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wollaston

Listing Text

SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY
CARDESTON C.P.
12/17 Alberbury Castle, remains
13.6.58 of [formerly listed as
Fitzwarine Tower
(Alberbury Castle)]

GV II*

Castle, remains of. Probably early C13, for Fulk Fitz Warin (III).
Coursed Alberbury breccia with red sandstone dressings and evidence of
former limewashing. Remains of 2-storey keep to south-west (probably
formerly with first-floor hall) and irregularly-shaped bailey to north-east
bounded by wall approximately 175 metres long, 3 metres high, and one metre
wide. Keep: very ruinous, with remains of internal first-floor cill
string; round- and pointed-arched openings. Walling: battered lower
stages with remains of diagonal buttress to north-west and section of
chamfered plinth to west; C19 doorway to churchyard at the north-east
corner with pointed chamfered arch and nail-studded boarded door with
strap hinges; pointed-arched doorway to east with boarded door, round
rear-arch with rounded reveals and "1646" inscribed on tympanum; C19
doorway to west with moulded pointed arch and boarded door. Ralph the Fat
is the first recorded tenant of the Manor of Alberbury. Fulk Fitz Warin (I)
probably succeeded him. The castle forms part of a close group in the
village centre with the church (qv) and the garden walls adjoining to the
south (qv). County A.M. No.18. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp. 195-6; County
S.M.R., no. 270


Listing NGR: SJ3580614403

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.