History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Lydeard Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Lydeard, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.0612 / 51°3'40"N

Longitude: -3.1727 / 3°10'21"W

OS Eastings: 317917

OS Northings: 129754

OS Grid: ST179297

Mapcode National: GBR LY.FG1B

Mapcode Global: FRA 4679.XFL

Entry Name: East Lydeard Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175348

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270266

Location: Bishop's Lydeard, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Bishop's Lydeard

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bishops Lydeard

Listing Text


East Lydeard Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse. C16-C17, altered and enlarged 1919. Rendered over random rubble, slate roofs with change in level either
side of gabled slightly projecting cross wing with rendered stacks to right and in right gable end, brick to left and
in left gable end; gabled wing and left return have bargeboards. Plan: 3 cell and cross passage (facing West) to right,
one room early C20 addition to left. 2-storeys, 1:1:2 bays; 2- and 3-light early C20 casements, with long, many paned
casements in 3 ground floor windows of original block, a flight of 3 steps approaches the casement in the gabled cross
wing. Early C20 plank doors to left of cross window and centre right, latter with slate roofed pentice porch on wooden
brackets (original cross passage entrance). Left return gable end carries plaque CM (Charles Morris) 1919, right return
buttressed. Interior: plank and muntin screen to right of cross passage with blocked 4 centred arch opening (plastered
over on cross passage side), chamfered beams with enriched stops, fireplace against left cross passage wall with 4
panel hollow chamfered compartment ceiling, stair turret at rear. Plank and muntin screen at East end of cross wing
room, reset perhaps, with adapted 4 panel chamfered beam ceiling, North wall seems to have been rebuilt. Jointed cruck,
and lath and plaster screens visible upstairs. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, February 1981).

Listing NGR: ST1791729754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.