This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9563 / 50°57'22"N
Longitude: -2.9237 / 2°55'25"W
OS Eastings: 335220
OS Northings: 117839
OS Grid: ST352178
Mapcode National: GBR M8.N53L
Mapcode Global: FRA 46RL.4SW
Entry Name: New House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263991
Location: Ilton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Ilton
Built-Up Area: Ilton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Ilton
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ILTON CP MAIN STREET (East side)
3/83 New House Farmhouse
Detached house.Possible C16 origins, but reshaped c1700. Local stone, much of it rendered and colourwashed, but portion
of south elevation, and also a rear extension in brick; double Roman clay tiled roof at west end, with high coped gable
to east, suggesting former thatch, west crosswing half-hipped to north with coped gable to south; brick chimney stacks.
'T'-plan; 2 storeys with attics, north entrance elevation of 5 bays, of which bay 5 is the end of the crosswing. Leaded
casement windows of early pattern, 2- and 3-light, with doorway to lower bay 2, having a plain boarded door in heavy
frame. Test elevation of 3 bays, with leaded casements to outer bays and slightly projecting stack with gabled offsets
to centre bay. South elevation of 4 bays; bay 1 the projecting rendered gable; remainder has near-ashlar stone below
and brick to first floor, with saw-tooth dentilled band course between floors and semi-circular relieving arches over
lower openings similar to Ashford Farmhouse (dated 1703-q.v.). Interior much altered, but sections of timber-framed
partitions remain; a C18 fireplace, and indication of an earlier kitchen fireplace currently blocked, early C17
fireplace in west room with cambered arch; collar and tie beams. The west block probably just before 1600, the east
wing c1700 (VAG Report, SRO unpublished, December 1973).
Listing NGR: ST3522017839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings